Goal and Learning Outcomes
The goal of this course is to educate healthcare providers about causes and consequences of obesity and provide them with the tools necessary to implement a Medicare-compliant program for Intensive Behavioral Therapy for Obesity. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to
- Explain the scope of the obesity epidemic, its causes, and the health, social, economic and psychological consequences on the person and society
- Describe various weight-loss options, including diets, exercise, medication, and surgery, and choose the best treatment for your client
- Identify the Medicare-required components of a program for Intensive Behavioral Therapy for Obesity and how to get reimbursement
- Assess medical, diet, lifestyle and readiness to change information gathered from clients and use that information to develop an individualized treatment plan
- Develop individualized diet and exercise plans for clients, monitor the clients’ progress and make adjustments as needed
- Define weight-loss success, explain the most common roadblocks to success and develop a strategy to overcome those roadblocks
- Describe SMART goals, motivational interviewing, cognitive behavioral therapy, and demonstrate how each can increase weight loss counseling success.
Nov. 12, 2013: The American College of Cardiology (ACC) and the American Heart Association (AHA) released new clinical practice guidelines for the treatment of blood cholesterol in people at high risk for cardiovascular diseases caused by atherosclerosis. We’ll be revising our CE courses that include information related to this change over the next year to reflect the new clinical guidelines. For more information about the new guidelines, go to:
In support of improving patient care, Relias LLC is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. Relias LLC guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.
Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.
This course completion will be electronically reported to CE Broker. Click here to view your CE Broker transcript and check the status of your CE requirements with a FREE 7-day CE Broker trial subscription. It may take up to 24 hours for the course to appear on your CE Broker transcript.
It is now required that all CE is completed and reported to CE Broker before you renew your license. When you complete continuing education with us, Relias LLC will report your hours for you.
Read more about the new license renewal process at AreYouRenewalReady.com and claim your free Basic Account in CE Broker to see what has already been reported for you.
Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.