Goal and Learning Outcomes
The goal of this course is to educate healthcare providers about causes and consequences of obesity and provide them with the tools necessary to implement a Medicare-compliant program for Intensive Behavioral Therapy for Obesity. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to
- Explain the scope of the obesity epidemic, its causes, and the health, social, economic and psychological consequences on the person and society
- Describe various weight-loss options, including diets, exercise, medication, and surgery, and choose the best treatment for your client
- Identify the Medicare-required components of a program for Intensive Behavioral Therapy for Obesity and how to get reimbursement
- Assess medical, diet, lifestyle and readiness to change information gathered from clients and use that information to develop an individualized treatment plan
- Develop individualized diet and exercise plans for clients, monitor the clients’ progress and make adjustments as needed
- Define weight-loss success, explain the most common roadblocks to success and develop a strategy to overcome those roadblocks
- Describe SMART goals, motivational interviewing, cognitive behavioral therapy, and demonstrate how each can increase weight loss counseling success.
Nov. 12, 2013: The American College of Cardiology (ACC) and the American Heart Association (AHA) released new clinical practice guidelines for the treatment of blood cholesterol in people at high risk for cardiovascular diseases caused by atherosclerosis. We’ll be revising our CE courses that include information related to this change over the next year to reflect the new clinical guidelines. For more information about the new guidelines, go to:
In support of improving patient care, Relias LLC is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, CEP#13791
Relias LLC reports to CEBroker for the following boards (Provider # 50-1489): Arkansas State Board Of Nursing, District Of Columbia Board Of Nursing, Florida Board Of Nursing, Georgia Board Of Nursing, New Mexico Board Of Nursing, South Carolina Board Of Nursing and West Virginia Board Of Examiners For Registered Professional Nurses
Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.
None of the planners/faculty, unless otherwise noted, for this educational activity have relevant financial relationship(s) to disclose with ineligible companies whose primary business is producing, marketing, selling, re-selling, or distributing healthcare products used by or on patients.