Save 20% and get member access to 750+ CE courses for Free, including all state-required courses. Buy 30 Hour Renewal Package and Unlimited CE package today.
Hawaii Nursing CE Requirements
CE Requirements for RNsTotal Hours Required: 30 | Elective Hours: 30 | Renewal Cycle in Years: 2
Beginning July 1, 2017, with the renewal of the licensing biennium, and every biennial renewal thereafter, each registered nurse and practical nurse licensee must complete one of the learning activity options recognized by the board within the two-year period preceding the renewal date, HRS §457-9.2(a). Licenses expire biennially on June 30 of every odd-numbered year. HRS §457-9.
For licensure renewal, RNs and LPNs must complete one of the learning activity options required for continuing competency. HRS §457-9.3
- National certification or recertification related to the nurse's practice role;
- Thirty (30) contact hours of continuing education activities;
- Completion of a board approved refresher course;
- Completion of a minimum of two semester credits of post-licensure academic education related to nursing practice from an accredited nursing program;
- Participation as a preceptor, for at least one nursing student or employee transitioning into new clinical practice areas for at least one hundred twenty hours, in a one-to-one relationship as part of an organized preceptorship program; provided that the licensee may precept more than one student or employee during the one hundred twenty hours and shall be evidenced by documentation of hours completed and objectives of the preceptorship by the institution supervising the student;
- Completion as principal or co-principal investigator of a nursing research project that is an institution review board project or evidence-based practice project that has been preapproved by the board;
- Authoring or coauthoring a peer reviewed published nursing or health-related article, book, or book chapter;
- Developing and conducting a nursing education presentation or presentations totaling a minimum of five contact hours of actual organized instruction that qualifies as continuing education;
- Completion of a board-recognized nurse residency program;
- A similar type of learning activity option; provided that the type of activity shall be recognized by the board.
CE Requirements for LVNsTotal Hours Required: 30 | Elective Hours: 30 | Renewal Cycle in Years: 2
See RN requirements.