What does a Canadian RN licensed in New York need to work in the U.S.?

By | 2022-02-14T17:42:02-05:00 January 6th, 2011|0 Comments


Dear Donna,
I am a Canadian citizen who recently was licensed as an RN in New York state. It is my understanding an RN with Canadian citizenship doesn’t need a work permit but can obtain a visa at the port of entry by presenting a letter from a prospective U.S. employer under NAFTA. Could you please advise as to whether there is something else needed when entering the U.S. to work as a RN?
Kyumsun Lee

Dear Donna replies:

Dear Kyumsun,

For this question, I consulted Shari Dingle Sandifer MBA, RN, and CEO of Avant Healthcare Professionals, an international recruiting firm (www.avanthealthcare.com). Here is her response:
“A Canadian citizen that is a registered nurse licensed in a U.S. jurisdiction can work in the U.S. under a TN (Treaty NAFTA) visa. This visa can be obtained at the U.S./Canada boarder. The nurse should present the following: RN license in the state of intended employment, job offer letter from employer, a VisaScreen Certificate issued by CGFNS (www.cgfns.org), proof of Canadian citizenship and TN visa fee. For more information on the TN visa, visit the U.S. Customs and Immigration Services website (www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=bac00b89284a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=bac00b89284a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD).

Best Wishes,


Nurse.com Job Seeker

Discover how Nurse.com can help you find your next dream job.
Just sign up and wait to be paired with your perfect match.

About the Author:


Leave A Comment