You are here:-, Nursing careers and jobs-If my license is suspended in one state, does it affect other state licenses? Is it OK to surrender an RN license?

If my license is suspended in one state, does it affect other state licenses? When is it OK to surrender an RN license?

Valentina

Dear Nancy replies:

Dear Valentina,

A discipline by a state board of nursing is public information. As a result, when a nurse licensee is disciplined in one state that discipline can affect the nurse licensee in every other state in which the nurse is licensed. State nurse practice acts include a provision that if a nurse is disciplined in one state, he or she also can be disciplined in the state where the nurse also holds a license if the discipline was based on a similar basis for discipline in that state.

Also, nurse practice acts require a nurse licensed in that state who is disciplined in another state to report that discipline to the state board of nursing. If not reported by the nurse licensee, he or she can be disciplined for not self-reporting in addition to being disciplined for whatever violation is the focus of the discipline.

This requirement is further enforced because state boards of nursing report to other state boards of nursing when a discipline occurs in their state. This reporting may be done through newsletters, disciplinary information on the state board’s website and on-line through NURYSYS. The National Practitioner Data Bank also makes available disciplinary action information against nurses available to prospective employers.

If the nurse is disciplined in a state that is a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact, the nurse licensee can face discipline in all other member states in which he or she practices under
the compact.

In relation to your question about surrendering a license, seek a consultation with a nurse attorney or other attorney in your state who can advise you about doing so and about disciplinary actions and their effect upon licensure in other states. Surrendering a license is not without implications for the nurse licensee. Those implications need to be seriously evaluated before that action is taken.

Regards,
Nancy

Expand your nursing knowledge with these popular CE courses

60227: Interprofessional Guide to Pain Management
Old man suffering from knee pain(6 contact hours)
Pain is experienced by almost all patients regardless of age or sex. Virtually all healthcare professionals help patients who are experiencing pain. To provide comprehensive team-based care, professionals must understand the limits of their own expertise, while gaining insight from and an appreciation for that of other disciplines. This requires health professionals to collaborate to better assess, understand and manage patients with complex pain.

WEB338: It’s Just a Stage 1 Pressure Injury. Or is it?
(1 contact hour)
The National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel modified descriptive language from pressure ulcer to pressure injury in 2016. Since skin can look very different based on an individual’s skin tone, it’s important to fortify assessment skills with tips you can use to help prevent “missed” deeper injuries.

WEB341: Inattentional Blindness: When You Just Didn’t See It
(1 contact hour)
Inattentional blindness is a phenomenon that can have a profound influence on perception and decision-making. Inattentional blindness is as an occurrence that happens when one is concentrating on a main task so that one misses detecting an unanticipated object or change in one’s environment. The level of attention needed for a task or specific features of the unanticipated thing that could be overlooked and influence the risk of inattentional blindness occurring.

By | 2018-09-05T18:43:52+00:00 May 26th, 2014|Categories: Blogs, Nursing careers and jobs|25 Comments

1. Stephanie February 21, 2016 at 2:27 am - Reply

I have a nursing license that is currently under restriction. I am thinking about moving to another state. The state I live in is not a state that falls under the nurse compact. Would I be able to get my LPN license in the state I would be moving to and would my Restriction follow me. What I have to maintain my licensure in the original state that I got it and continue to follow my consent agreement or would I be allowed to let go of my licensure in my current state if I were able to obtain a license in the new state I’m very confused as to how all of this works. I’m an LPN in Ohio wanting to relocate to SC

• Elizabeth March 23, 2016 at 11:19 pm - Reply

I ran into a similar problem. I had moved from Ohio to Va. before a decision was made to restrict my Ohio license (2 years to make that decision). I could not afford to move back to Ohio to follow up with the OH board. Virginia would not give me a license, said it was illegal to give one when suspended in another state.

2. Peary Brown July 19, 2016 at 7:22 pm - Reply

Certainly there is the factor of just what the violation & or restriction is. Many rules and regulations are similar but some boards are looked upon as over reaching and denying the alegations then moving to another state has worked for several nurses I know. Not all complaints are accurate or valid. It is a misconception to think that a physician serving a vendetta against a nurse in Arizona ends up the same way in Massachusetts. I can tell you it does not.

3. Kelly August 30, 2016 at 4:14 am - Reply

My license is suspended in 1 state for noncompliance with nurse assistance program..can i b licensed in another state without this program?

4. Kelly August 30, 2016 at 4:17 am - Reply

if im suspended 4 noncompliance w NAP…can i nurse somewherelse?

• Christina C November 7, 2016 at 1:18 am - Reply

I’m trying to get the same info. I’m ready to surrender my lpn license in a compact state. Then move to a non compact state and try for my license, if possible

5. Julie December 7, 2016 at 5:08 pm - Reply

I am trying to find out the same information.PA nursing board suspended my license almost 6 years after I filed a complaint against a drug addicted pain doctor who has lost his license in multiple other state’s for his addiction to fentanyl. No complaint was filed against me ever in the 16 years I have been licensed but my filing a complaint against the doctor they did nothing to his license but suspended mine 6 years later!! PA is unreal and seems to favor corrupt practicing and punish very true and great nurse probably due to the fact that I do not pay into the AMA who pays the state boards wages.

6. Brandy January 8, 2017 at 3:56 am - Reply

The state that issued my original license was MISS…I also got a license by endorsement for the state of la where I currently work and reside…my ms license has been suspended for non compliance but my la license is good and has been for years. How do i go about applying for endorsment n another state that is n the compact states agreement just in my current la license or will this suspension of my ms license always mess me up when applying by endorsement?

• Sherry Scott February 15, 2017 at 2:16 pm - Reply

Was your license already suspended before you got license in la?

7. Julie April 3, 2017 at 2:58 pm - Reply

If I voluntarily surrender a suspended RN license in PA, can I apply for a license by endorsement in another state?

8. Christina May 4, 2017 at 2:09 pm - Reply

Can the Texas board of nursing volunteer surrender both LVN and RN if you only did the RN?

• Sallie Jimenez
      Sallie Jimenez May 9, 2017 at 1:44 pm - Reply

Hi Christina,

To ask Nancy a question, email BrentsLaw@nurse.com. You may also want to ask administrators at your school of nursing or nursing administrators at your place of employment for guidance on this matter.

Best wishes,
      Sallie

9. Dorgima Bambushew June 10, 2017 at 6:13 pm - Reply

I live in california i think my license is suspended can i get my license in another state.

10. Karen July 31, 2017 at 3:28 pm - Reply

No. If you are suspended in one state or territory, you will not be able to obtain a Nursing license in any other state until the state where you are suspended is dealt with.

11. Marie August 18, 2017 at 3:48 am - Reply

I was disciplined in another state nine years ago but my lpn license has always been in good standing now other state denied my lpn license I have made appeal and have hearing what should I expect.

12. Sandra October 19, 2017 at 4:01 pm - Reply

Can I obtain a nursing license in another state while under investigation in another state even though I have no disciplinary actions against me? What I’m saying is, as of right now if you look my license up it’s in good standing. Can my new employer find out about the investigation though?

• Nicole January 3, 2018 at 12:20 am - Reply

Did u ever find out if this is possible? I’m in the same boat…

13. MOMO October 24, 2017 at 7:22 am - Reply

My CA RN License is under investigation now 2017 but I have MA RN License since 2015. Can still move to MA and work there even thought My CA License is still under investigation?

14. Ben December 1, 2017 at 10:14 pm - Reply

I have an ongoing application with California brn can I still apply in other state. Will California brn report that I have an ongoing application.

15. Gia December 7, 2017 at 6:07 pm - Reply

I voluntarily surrendered my license in NY under the advise of my attorney, can I apply for a license in another state such as Texas or North Carolina?

16. Tina Kirkbride December 12, 2017 at 6:28 pm - Reply

My lic is under probation in ca can I get a lic in another state if so what state

• Bravolove11 June 27, 2018 at 11:21 pm - Reply

Did anyone ever find out if we are on bbn probation or in noncompliance in CA can we transfer?

17. Nxtn8br January 13, 2018 at 3:04 am - Reply

Im in the same boat but i see no answer

18. Dorgima Bambushew July 15, 2018 at 6:19 pm - Reply

How can I get my hha back?

19. Denise Meeder September 8, 2018 at 11:22 pm - Reply

I’ve been LVN since2005, I had my1 St DUI I in1993 I did get my licence. Since then I was in case accident had 2 nd DUI unable to work due to 7 major surgeries after 18 mths recovery it was bad mistake bad divorce. No excuse. The BOV said I can work till boards decided. I was determine to nurse again my passion then after5 mths I was hit by corectional officer under the influence. Shin he killed lady last behind me, but I was air lifted again, disabled for 8 mths. Then I received suspended paper’s from BOV, I informed them I couldn’t do it for at least yr so I could recover, they informed me maybe to surrender my license for yr. I then wrote back a greed to all terms cause I was released to go back to work. The BOV failed to inform me I can’t ask for re. Surrender my LVN till my DUI falls off in June 2019 they said I’ll just have 3 points on my record but with no restrictions or probation. What to I need to be prepared for. Any help so I can get stated now. I’ve been sober for4 yes, go to AA, no criminal , no vehicle citations. Just don’t know what to expect. CA