I am being reported to the nursing board for falsifying documentation. Can I lose my license?

By | 2022-02-18T14:34:06-05:00 September 17th, 2012|20 Comments

Dear Nancy,

I am a nurse practitioner and do face-to-face visits for a local hospice agency part time. I was terminated today for misdating four visits. They said I falsified documentation and they are reporting me to the board of nursing. I honestly didn’t remember the date of visit and just signed the wrong day. I did not bill for the visits and asked if I could correct it, which they did not allow me to do. Since they are reporting me, can I lose my license?

Maggie

Nancy Brent replies:

Dear Maggie,

The allegations against you are quite serious, so it is important for you to seek legal representation through a nurse attorney or attorney in your state as soon as possible. It will be important that you present your best defense possible in this situation. “Not remembering” the date of your visits, yet stating you documented the “wrong day” will probably not be to your advantage, unless there is more to this explanation than you included in the question.

Falsifying records made in one’s practice can be a reason for a nurse to be disciplined by a board of nursing. What actions are possible against a nurse licensee who violates the state nurse practice act is governed by the state act. You might want to review the act and its rules before you meet with the attorney.

In most states, possible disciplines include a reprimand or censure, probation, the suspension of a license and revocation. Other discipline is also often possible, such as the payment of a fine and the requirement of taking a course or CE about a particular subject (e.g., documentation). Your attorney can discuss these with you in detail when you meet with him or her.

Sincerely,
Nancy

WHAT’S NEW AT NURSE.COM

Nurse.com Job Seeker

Discover how Nurse.com can help you find your next dream job.
Just sign up and wait to be paired with your perfect match.

Tina February 13, 2016 at 1:02 pm - Reply

I am being under investigation with the compliance department of my company located in another state, I work for them in my state. I do home assessments, no treatment; a few of the parient stated I did not see them which I did; and to top it off, there are 2 charts submitted that I have no recollection of, I was charting about 8-9 charts and became confused as to what was submitted. I told the company that the patients were seen; but they do not believe me; they keep saying that the patients stated you were not there. I am able to describe what each patient look like except for the 2 that I have no recollection of. I am nervous that I am reported and lose my license – what is my recourse?

Katrina January 28, 2017 at 2:43 pm - Reply

Hey Tina,

What was the outcome of this?

Lisa February 10, 2017 at 10:16 pm - Reply

Was this professional edge by any chance?

Nikki October 1, 2017 at 5:22 pm - Reply

Tina can u update on this? I’m dealing with the exact same issue. Patient said that I wasn’t there. But in fact I was and it was weeks ago.

Amanda swenty February 7, 2022 at 11:39 am - Reply

I would like to know what the outcome of this was?

Heather Gallagher June 19, 2016 at 4:26 pm - Reply

I recently resigned from my position as a LPN at a nursing home. I handed in my badges and also had my exit interview. After this happened, I continued to work at my job for an additional day. During that time, I gave a narcotic at 2:30pm instead of at 9:30am. In my quickness to give the narcotic, I wrote down the wrong time on the paper charting, but alerted the next nurse on duty to the fact who stated she would alter her doses to the patient since she receives this medication four times a day.

My question is this : I have read on PA’s nursing websites, that I can be reported to the BON only if I was suspended or terminated for “falsifying medical records”. As this was not the case since I resigned on my own, should I be worried that I will still be reported and my lose my license? I’m anxious because I am due to start a new job in July and worried that I may not be able to do so because of this.

DARLENE NELSON May 30, 2018 at 11:21 pm - Reply

BE CAREFUL ABOUT RETAINING AN ATTORNEY
    It is not always wise to initially retain legal council. It is imperative to develop a relationship with your Board investigator and have the opportunity to tell your story. The minute you retain an attorney you are forbidden to contact or in any way communicate with the BON investigator. The process is one that can already take a painfully long time, leaving you to twist in the wind. If you retain an attorney all communication must go from you to the attorney, the attorney will likely take time to get to your request, then the attorney contacts the BON on your behalf, then when the Investigator has time they will respond and then finally when the attorneys schedule permits they will get back to you. I personally discovered exculpatory evidence in my file. It took three months to finally get that information to the BON. And even then it was not communicated to the Investigator in a way only I could. After months of awaiting a reply for a request for an informal hearing I was finally granted one. I attended the hearing unrepresented and my charges were dropped once I could explain face to face. Had I been able to pick up the phone and talk to the Investigator one on one my 10 month experience of agonizing stress would likely have been much shorter. Remember, an attorney is afforded no authority or power with the BON and they have an investment in maintaining a cordial relationship with the Board. The most important thing you can do is request the BON file and all evidence they have and carefully review it. I was fortunate in that I have been a Legal Nurse Consultant for 20 years and was able to thoroughly review all the medical records and discovery. Attorneys, especially if not nurses familiar with current real life practice and EMRs cannot review records as you could. Attorneys also cost a fortune and so will certain requests of you such as a polygraph that the Board will mandate you submit to.

DARLENE Ann NELSON June 25, 2018 at 1:26 am - Reply

I sincerely do not advise retaining an attorney at least initially. This prevents you, the one who knows what really happened, a voice. You need to be able to help the investigator understand all the facts and correctly interpret the records. As soon as you retain an attorney you cannot communicate with your investigator. You can only briefly and in a sterile fashion communicate through your attorney. Your voice is needed to Express your innocence. Plus an attorney will cost you thousands

Michel June 29, 2018 at 5:28 pm - Reply

Darlene Nelson, How can i find a ” legal nurse Consultant” like you said you were to help me?

Clarissa January 11, 2019 at 4:13 am - Reply

If someone signs a legal document of assessment on a patient as a RN and they are actual a LPN is this legal.

Missnoname January 16, 2019 at 8:37 pm - Reply

Darlene Nelsen sounds more like a state investigator than I nurse consultant. I’d take that for what it may be before taking her advice. An investigators job is to try to find fault and take your license.

Debra January 19, 2019 at 12:37 am - Reply

I am a new nurse in nursing home. This is my first RN job. I had a patient who is receiving Vancomycin and when it was time for me to give, I couldn’t find the medication, I even searched for it with another nurse and my supervisor and we all couldn’t find it. So I ended up not giving plus the patient’s lab results showed elevated vanc level. My supervisor called the MD on call but no one picked up or didn’t return the call. I am scared that I’ll lose my license because of this. I just want to know if it’s possible I’ll lose my license because of this.

Ysa January 21, 2019 at 12:26 pm - Reply

Can I lose my Nursing License for falsification of employment record for not disclosing my brother and sis in law to the same hospital? I got terminated during my last day of orientation and they dired me due to breaking the hospital rule of conduct. Is it reportable to BON? Pls someone give me advice. Thanks

Kelly Emmons March 31, 2019 at 4:12 pm - Reply

I have been in the process of becoming a travel nurse in my state. The company I am with attempted to get me assigned to one of the biggest dialysis companies in my state. The company refused to take me on as a traveler citing that when I previously worked for the company in my home town full time, leaving on my own accord after working out my notice and training my replacement, that the mgr turned in paperwork that I was not rehirable due to the fact I was fired for falsifying patient documentation. I wasn’t fired and if this information the company has is true then why wasn’t it sent to my BON like I have read so many places on the internet. Can anyone shed light on this please and thank you in advance

Kelly

don'tbefooled July 23, 2019 at 1:51 am - Reply

My advice to anyone is to obtain LEGAL COUNSEL!!!

Robin September 2, 2019 at 7:04 pm - Reply

What legal action can I take if a MD reported actually seeing a patient to be put in hospice with a diagnosis she never had. Also never physically seeing her? But stated he did.

Can the doctor lose his license?

Tyra Levier September 22, 2020 at 11:14 pm - Reply

I am a certified nursing assistant and I work in a nursing home we have to do bottle size 3 times a day at the beginning of each shift . I was accused for falsifying resident vital signs, I explained to them and told them that I did not falsified my vital signs and yet they still tonight so I was let go. Can I lose my CNA certification after being accused I have something that I did not do even though I have witnesses?

Julianne October 30, 2019 at 4:02 pm - Reply

I currently working in a nursing home. There are numerous assessments that are required on our residents. My question in particular is what are the consequences for a nurse documenting they have done a skin assessment when actually they haven’t even looked at the residents skin?

Maggie Ortiz RN MSN April 20, 2020 at 2:06 pm - Reply

IF YOUR LICENSE IS UNDER INVESTIGATION REACH OUT TO US! We assist nurses under investigation by their board as most do not offer due process! https://www.expertnurseconsultants.com/

Anonymous December 2, 2021 at 2:02 pm - Reply

I work in LTC. We had an allegation of entrapment. Invalidated. As part of the soft file I was told to assess bed rails entire facility, I did I was told to do so on paper I did. I was told that ‘ bed rails were not to be used to define the parameters of a bed and if being used to prevent resident from falling to be removed. I was told not to complete RP notification. I was told if the resident was incapable of releasing the bed rails then they MUST be removed. A sister and responsible party of a resident came in that day the bed rail was removed and questioned the new administrator about the bed rail and wanted the bed rail replaced. The said administrator denied and stated that never happened . The resident was noted on the floor at bedside deceased the next day. I was asked to change my documentation I refused. Then three days later the same administrator claimed I failed to complete the bed rail assessments ( I found in the shredder box). She also claimed I never updated the care plans (which I did and I printed screen shots showing proof that I had and that she had another nurse go behind me an update to cover my work) I was walked out three days later. Should I report this to the board of nursing? I have a feeling this is wrong. I just am not smart enough to understand the motive. Using a new created email for anonymity.