The Clinical Call Center RN will utilize the nursing process to evaluate patient needs over the telephone and provide guidance and education to patients, adhering to organizational policies, procedures and guidelines. Provides high risk patients with chronic disease management and liaises between the patient, hospital, physicians office, home care agency, etc.
1. Receives, triages and responds to telephone calls from patients requiring medical guidance. Provides patients with clear instructions and education utilizing appropriate guidelines.
2. Uses medically approved nursing assessment guidelines, educational knowledge base and nursing experience to determine level of urgency and time frame for medical evaluation of patient symptoms and/or situation.
3. Ensures patients are connected to right healthcare resource, at the right time with the right outcome.
4. Directs patient to the proper locus of care including emergent care, urgent care, routine and same day appointments, follow-up and self home care based on outcomes of nursing assessment.
5. Documents calls according to established guidelines.
6. Communicates with physician, RN or other health care providers regarding patients status.
7. Collaborates with the physician when patient requires physician involvement, intervention or follow-up.
8. Contributes to the development of guidelines, procedures, patient education, and training, as assigned.
9. Understands, interprets and acts on a variety of statistical measurements of individual and call center performance.
10. Initiates case conferences with supervisor, as appropriate.
11. Participates in education and in-service programs.