In a collaborative and multidisciplinary environment, contributes professional and clinical nursing expertise to assigned unit(s) and/or patient populations to ensure the delivery of high quality nursing care. Scope of practice will encompass:
*Expert clinical practice
*Expert guidance and coaching of patients and families and other healthcare providers
*Research and Evidence Based Practice (EBP)
*Leadership (clinical, professional, and systems)
REPORTS TO: See addendum
DESCRIPTION OF WORK:
1. Expert Clinical Practice - Applies advanced clinical skills to care for a select patient population.
Maintains expertise in area of practice. Evaluates outcomes and adjusts nursing care practices to
ensure optimum delivery of care in a cost-effective manner. Facilitates the coordination and
communication of patient care needs across the health care continuum.
If working in a collaborative agreement with a physician, expert clinical practice might additionally
require the APN to:
a. Obtain an initial history and physical exam.
- Report and review pertinent and/or abnormal physical findings to make prospective treatment decisions appropriate for presenting symptomatology.
- Initiate and interpret laboratory tests and diagnostic studies according to established protocols and consults with physicians as necessary.
- Implement and follow through with specific treatment plans.
- Expert Guidance and Coaching - Designs and manages a comprehensive plan of care for patients and families monitoring all aspects of the therapeutic regimen. Educates patients and families in prescribed treatment plan of care. Educates and guides families to promote wellness and assume responsibility for participation in the management of their own health care. Serves as a resource person for education of health care professionals and the community-at-large to promote health maintenance and disease prevention.
Serves as a clinical resource and expert throughout the institution in area of specialty; maintains knowledge of system operations in order to expedite unit needs (e.g. who to contact, best methodology to accomplish desired result). Responds to consultative requests and provides recommendations for clinical/educational/psychosocial interventions as necessary. Collaborates with multidisciplinary care team as needed to optimize quality and delivery of care.
4. Research & EBP
In collaboration with multidisciplinary staff, conducts/participates in nursing research and EBP initiatives including education, mentoring, practice, and leadership. Critically evaluates existing practice based on current research findings and integrates changes into practice. Incorporates research findings and quality improvement strategies into clinical practice to improve patient outcomes.
Acts as a professional role model to all levels of staff by incorporating expertise and related experience into all aspects of patient care. Fosters communication between members of multidisciplinary care team. Identifies the need for new programs, assesses potential outcomes and cost/benefits, and makes recommendations for further development, implementation and evaluation. Works with other departments to establish new programs for patient care delivery, assessment and evaluation. Monitors practice patterns for trends in outcomes and resource utilization for patient populations in area of practice.
- Current Registered Professional Nurse and Certification as an Advanced Practice Nurse in New Jersey.
- Master’s Degree in Nursing.
- Ability to apply nursing process toward achievement of specific outcomes in an organized fashion which addresses patient/family satisfaction.
- Evidence of excellent interpersonal skills, effective communication skills, and creative problem solving.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of clinical nursing practice experience, primarily in area of specialty.
- Participation in pertinent professional and/or specialty organizations preferred.