A Registered Nurse engaged to work on an as-needed basis for patient care delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provides clinical nursing care to all assigned patients on an as-needed basis.
2. Assesses and evaluates patient needs for, and responses to, care rendered and applies sound nursing judgment in patient care management decisions.
3. Provides direct, continuous, (where applicable), care for a specific caseload of patients through application of the nursing process based upon theory, research, and approved Department of Nursing and institutional standards.
4. Coordinates patient care activities, based on established priorities, including teaching, rounding, counseling, and discharge planning, and directs/delegates appropriately to members of the health care team.
5. Communicates effectively and professionally with patients, significant others, and members of the health care team about the patient's plan of care.
6. Participates in performance improvement, nursing quality, nursing research activities and utilizes same in clinical practice.
7. Maintains BCLS/ACLS/PALS certification and annual mandatory program requirements. For renewal, the nurse can participate in BCLS/ACLS/PALS classes offered by Nursing Education.
8. Possesses the required competence to perform in the area of assignment within the guidelines of the position description.
9. Participates in the design, measurement, and assessment of care related structures, processes, and outcomes to improve the quality of patient care.
10. Demonstrates responsibility and accountability for nursing practice and the delivery of safe, competent patient care.
11. Maintains clinical competence and is responsible for own professional growth and development along the continuum from advance beginner to expert.
12. Functions as a professional role model and preceptor for students, new hires, and staff.
13. Completes the necessary orientation program as coordinated by Nursing Education prior to engagement. Complies with all institutional regulations as would a full-time employee.
14. Collaborates with members of the health care team, the patient, and significant others to plan and implement the patient's care.
15. Coordinates discharge planning from the day of admission to day of discharge or transfer to alternate care continuum. Conducts discharge phone calls on selected patients.
16. Has an operative telephone, for control of assignments. Notifies the Care Center Office of any changes in schedule, address or telephone number.
17. Submits a letter of resignation at least two weeks in advance of the effective date.