Provides professional nursing services in the treatment and care of patients. Assesses, plans, evaluates, implements, and documents the nursing process of care delivery. Assumes responsibility and accountability for the application of the nursing process and delivery of patient care. Consistently performs according to nursing standards and is accountable in managing patient care and assisting others in the management of patient care.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, provides, supervises and documents professional nursing care utilizing the nursing process for patients in accordance with physician orders and established policies and procedures.
- Communicates and collaborates with nurses, physicians, and other members of the healthcare team to develop a plan of care to ensure optimal patient outcomes and continuity of care.
- Charts observations and activities related to patient care in electronic health record.
- Provides safe, effective, and compassionate nursing care for a patient population using critical thinking skills, advocacy abilities and ethical approaches.
- Guides and directs assigned unlicensed assistive personnel in delivering interdisciplinary patient care.
- Assesses signs and symptoms indicating physiologic and psychosocial changes in the patient’s condition and reports changes to the physician.
- Performs interventions according to identified priorities, plan of care, infection control and the hospital policies and patient care outcome standards.
- Actively participates in Quality Assurance/Process Improvement initiatives to improve patient safety and outcomes, such as monitoring compliance of core measures, infection control practices, etc.
- Educates patient/family prior to discharge regarding the diagnosis, medication and discharge instructions.
- Collects blood specimens by venipuncture or microtechniques for laboratory analysis necessary for patient treatment and diagnosis.
- Monitors and adjusts specialized equipment utilized on patients, and interprets and records electronic display.
Department Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs procedures specific to the ICU, such as (but not limited to), ventilator management, moderate sedation, electrolyte treatment, etc.
- Performs emergency blood and drip calculations.
- Monitors hemodynamic and neurological status of critical patients and reports changes to the physician.
- Obtains 12-Lead EKG for physician analysis to assist with patient diagnosis and treatment.
- Assists in emergency nursing procedures necessary for prompt control of changes in patient’s physical condition.
- Maintains current competencies for the Intensive Care Unit including but not limited to hypothermia protocol, IABP, EKG interpretation, cardiovascular and pulmonary assessments, O2 management, and tracheostomy care
- Possess and maintains active ACLS and BLS to be able to participate/run codes and unit emergencies.
- Identifies early signs of agitation and implements de-escalation techniques.
- Expected to float among various clinical services where qualified and competent.
- Adheres to downtime procedures.
- Adheres to established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives.
- Performs both essential and non-essential job functions in a safe manner as identified by Norwegian American Hospital.
- Demonstrates an understanding of and models the mission and core values of Norwegian American Hospital.
- Enhances professional growth and development by accessing educational programs, job related literature, in-service meetings, and workshops/seminars.
- Checks hospital email daily.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.