Registered Nurse (Assistant Nurse Manager)
- Functions in the role of OR Unit Coordinator and OR Scheduler when department needs require
- Functions in the role of circulator, scrub, pre-op holding, charge, and OR/SPS Liaison when department needs require.
- Represents the OR department in meetings with the OR NM and/or in the absence of NM.
- Supports Shared Governance, Unit Practice Council (UPC), and related activities on the departmental level.
- Assists the OR NM in developing and evaluating employee performance and competencies.
- Responsible for directing the nurse educator in the orientation of new nursing staff to the OR.
- Responsible for reviewing the orientation program for new nursing staff to the OR and communicates to OR NM.
- Leads staff in Systems Redesign and Lean projects to provide value-added, Veteran centric solutions to care delivery for employees and Veterans.
Work Schedule: Full Tme, 40 hours a week, OT, Nights and weekends my be required depending patient care needs. Exact work schedule to be discussed in interview.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not requiredBasic Requirements:
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Master's degree preferred
- Management experience and BSN required or completion of a relevant bachelor's degree within two (2) years of hire
- 5 years current OR experience required
- Current Unit Coordinator/Charge Nurse experience
- Administrative experience (time cards, proficiency, leave, disciplinary) preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of quality improvement and clinical care delivery processes, staffing, and budgeting.
- Knowledge of JCAHO and other federal, state and local regulatory requirements, interpersonal and communication skills.
- AORN Specialty certification (CNOR) preferred
- BLS required
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: Heavy Lifting (45 lbs and over); Straight Pulling, Pushing, Walking, Standing, Repeated bending (8 - 12 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands and legs required; Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and 20/40 in the other; Both eyes required; Depth perception; Ability to distinguish basic colors and shades of colors; Hearing (aid permitted); Emotional/Mental stability; Keyboarding and reading computer screen (8-12 hours intermittently over scheduled shift).None
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Responses to Occupational Questionnaire: If applying online, you will be prompted to respond electronically. If submitting via fax, you must complete the 1203FX form.
2. CV or Resume
3. VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists can be found at: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey=&Action=Search.
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.
- Cover Letter
- Veteran Preferance Letter