Investigative Nurse or Physician Assistant
Healthcare Risk Advisors has an exciting position available for a Nurse to work as a Professional Liability Investigator in their NYC office!
The Investigator serves as the primary investigator of lawsuits and occurrences at the institutions insured through HRA's Insurance Program. In addition, the investigator also participates in committee meetings, risk management education programs and claim review activities. The Professional Liability Investigator assists in the defense of medical malpractice lawsuits and claim management, and identifies issues that may have an impact on the quality of care at insured institutions.
- Investigates lawsuits, letters of claim and potential high exposure alerts; reviews and summarizes medical records, interviews involved parties and generates investigation reports that cover all key issues and / or allegations.
- Reviews and integrates relevant information from the legal file and documents into the investigation process.
- Prepares, dictates/types, and submits investigation reports to the Word Processing Unit for finalization and distribution according to department protocol.
- Provides information on occurrences, issues, and findings to Manager, Professional Liability Investigation and hospital Risk Manager.
- Accurately documents investigative findings in Oasis claim system. Updates appropriate fields in OASIS following investigation, including the risk management database.
- Following investigation of a case, the PLI ensures the IA has appropriately requested the security of evidence.
- Reviews medical records for liability and authorize, on behalf of the client, their release as requested by attorneys or patients, as necessary.
- When the IA is not available, opens unasserted cases (alerts and ARLs) on the OASIS claim system and requests security of appropriate documents and items relevant to the defense of cases according to specified procedures.
- Reviews defense attorney correspondence as necessary; responds to defense counsel or the claim examiner/ attorney investigation requests for hospital records and/or policies, obtains/provides relevant medical evidence when the Investigative Assistant (IA) is not available, and conducts relevant interviews upon request by defense counsel or claim examiner.
Education and Experience Required:
- Must possess a current NYS RN, PA or healthcare related license.
- Must possess an AA/BA/BS degree
- Minimum of 3-5 years of clinical experience.
- Must demonstrate knowledge of medicine.
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong interpersonal and interviewing skills.
- Must possess basic Microsoft Office Suite skills.
- Must have the ability to work independently and to manage multiple priorities.
Healthcare Risk Advisors, Inc., formerly FOJP Services Corporation, provides comprehensive insurance and risk management advisory services to leading academic hospitals, long-term care facilities, and social services agencies in the metropolitan New York area.
Healthcare Risk Advisors employs a best-in-class approach to risk management that includes risk transfer, development of favorable insuring terms, and dedicated client services throughout the entire claims process. Our team includes accomplished insurance and brokerage professionals as well as attorneys with extensive experience in claims litigation, insurance, and contract law.
HRA’s goal is to ensure that our clients have appropriate levels of coverage—as well as access to risk prevention services and resources—so they can focus their time and effort on the communities they serve.
HRA offers countless career opportunities and an environment which fosters professional advancement and success. Visit www.healthcareriskadvisors.com to learn more about our company.
HRA is an equal opportunity employer.