Part-Time Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
New Alternatives for Children, Inc. (NAC) is an award-winning, not-for-profit agency in Midtown Manhattan, with a satellite Bronx office, dedicated to serving children and families with medical complexity, chronic health conditions, severe disabilities and, behavioral health challenges. To assist in achieving this mission, NAC is currently seeking a Part-time Pediatric Nurse Practitioner to work in its Healthy@Home Program.
The Healthy at Home Program is a comprehensive and multifaceted service that is designed to improve access to health, mental health and social services to families caring for children with complex conditions. Clinical social workers provide support and case management services to families that are experiencing significant family and psychosocial stressors that are impacting their ability to care for their child or children with special needs.
The role of the part-time pediatric nurse practitioner in the Healthy at Home Program is to collaborate with program staff in case management and care coordination for children with medical complexity, significant disabilities or severe emotional/behavioral disturbances and their families who are followed in the program.
Position Type: Part-Time, 17.5 hours/week. Work schedule must be flexible to accommodate needs of program activities. No weekend work. No on call.
Location: 1775 Grand Concourse, 7th Floor │Bronx, NY 10453
Department/ Program: Healthy@Home Program
Description of Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Together with program staff and independently, meet children and families who have been referred for enrollment in their communities, at medical appointments both at NAC’s Article 28 Clinic and in hospital.
- Conduct home visits to children and families enrolled in the program, both in the company of program staff and independently, as the need arises
- Participate in all care coordination activities in which the team is involved, both directly with children and youth and their families, and in work with NAC staff, both those who are a part of the Healthy at Home Program and others who work in various departments at NAC.
- Review outside medical records thoroughly that are received for children and youth enrolled in the program
- Initiate contact and follow up with community- and hospital-based pediatric, medical and surgical providers, home care agencies, other case management agencies, schools, after-school programs, camps, recreation services and other community-based agencies
- Conduct outpatient visits, both office visits and preventive care visits, in NAC’s Article 28 Clinic, both at 26th Street and on the mobile medical unit
- Participate in all program meetings, scheduled and ad hoc
- Participate in all meetings held with staff from other programs at NAC
- Contribute to program activities involving reports and applications to grantors and other sources of program funding
- Participate in meetings and activities of other programs at NAC to the extent these inform the work done in Healthy at Home
Required Education and Experience:
- Certification as Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
- Licensure in NY State as Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
- DEA Registration
- At least 3 years of full time experience, or the equivalent, working extensively with children with medical complexity and developmental disabilities in outpatient, inpatient or pediatric subspecialty-care based in or affiliated with a tertiary care medical center
- Advanced competency communicating nuances of children’s complex needs in interactions with families and program staff who are not health professionals
- Advanced skills accessing and interpreting the health care literature, including questions and learning that arises from critical reading of original research studies and reviews
- Comfort with and interest in working with families living in poverty and in substandard housing conditions
- Collaborative approach to inter-disciplinary, team-based care
- Flexibility with scheduling
- Proficiency in Spanish is a plus.
How to Apply:
Please indicate “Part-Time Pediatric Nurse Practitioner “in the subject line when applying. Please submit cover letter and resume to:
Mary Ann Code
Human Resources Department
New Alternatives for Children
37 West 26th Street, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10010
For information on New Alternatives for Children, Inc., including more information on employee benefits and our agency culture, visit our website at www.nackidscan.org
New Alternatives for Children, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion.