Hospice Nurse Practitioner PRN
- Master's degree
- Valid licensure required
- Previous experience required
- Position Summary:
Utilizes advanced knowledge and clinical expertise in providing primary and/or specialized hospice healthcare services to patients and their families. Works in collaboration with the hospice Medical Director and is directly accountable for making clinical judgements using independent and interdependent decision making skills. Provides direct and indirect patient care in managing the health care needs of patients and families facing life limiting illness. Provides care to patients requiring hospice care using advanced skills in physical exam, diagnosis, and treatment. Prescribes and implements interventions identified in the interdisciplinary plan of care- writes medical orders (medications, tests, and invasive procedures) and may perform invasive procedures subject to agency policies and procedures. Provides patient/ family education and counseling. Responsible for assuring agency compliance with local, state, federal, government regulations and Joint Commission standards. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with internal and external customers including: employees, physicians, facilities and community members.
- Current State licensure as a professional nurse required
- Masters degree in Nursing from an accredited nurse practitioner training program required
- National certification (CRNP) in advanced practice nursing speciality of Adult Health , Gerontology, or Palliative Care from certification body (ANCC, AANP, ONCC, NBCHPN)
- Successful completion of not less than 45 hours of course work in advanced pharmacology with additional 16 hours in continuing education in advance pharmacology per biennium
- CRNP prescriptive authority by the State Board of Nursing
- Certification in Generalist Hospice and Palliative Nursing preferred (CHPN)
- Advanced Certification in Hospice and Palliative Nursing preferred (ACHPN)
- Ability to enter a collaborative agreement with the Hospice Medical Director
- Ability to provide advanced practice nursing care and services to patients and families facing life limiting illness
- Ability to work within an interdisciplinary team
- Leadership skills with demonstrated willingness to pursue and perform leadership roles with increasing levels of accountability, decision making responsibilities, and coaching, teaching and counseling skills.
- Two years clinical experience as a professional nurse
- One year working with terminally ill patients preferred
- Ability to function in a rapidly changing health care environment.
- Excellent communication skills, customer service skills and positive leadership style.
- Computer literacy required.
- Valid driver's license and current CPR required.
- Able to travel to patient's homes within service area.
- Able to use office equipment; i.e. beeper, car phone, desktop and handheld computer.
- Able to perform various position changes, reaching, pulling, pushing, crouching, and stooping when performing patient care.
- Able to withstand prolonged standing/walking.
- Ability to work flexible hours, with holidays and weekends included.