RN - 4SW/1SE Medical/Neurology/Onocology Unit
- Provides high-quality, evidence-based care for Veteran patients who are admitted to the inpatient setting for an acute Medical/Surgical, Neurology Oncology problem, and diagnostic treatments who commonly will require inpatient chemotherapy agents.
- Performs assessment and reassessment of the medical-neurology-oncology and palliative patients and provide holistic care in a timely manner as ordered.Maintains infection control measures, use strict hand hygiene techniques, take care of invasive lines and maintain skin integrity.
- Provides safe use of equipment and supplies in a cost effective manner eliminating recourse wastage.
- Promotes a safe environment for all patients including those with altered mental status, SI/HI and an acute or chronic illness.
- Uses SBAR and plan of care (POC) for bedside report, document using CPRS and bedside flow sheet, update care plan every shift, administer medications using BCMA system, follow protocols, SOP's and guidelines, adhere to policies and evaluate resources for each shift.
- Implements patient activities toward health promotion and disease prevention, assisting the Veteran in attainment of optimal levels of function through direct care, rehabilitation, as well as provision of supportive measures for the dying patient and their significant others.
- May be assigned responsibility as a Charge Nurse, team lead and/or preceptor to new staff/trainees
Work Schedule: Full time- Monday to Sunday, 12 hour shift with rotational weekends and holidays. 80 hours per pay period required with an 8 hour shift. Tour of duty may change based on the needs of organization.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not requiredBasic Requirements:
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Preferred Experience: - BSN; 1 year of medical-surgical practice/experience.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: Heavy lifting (45 lbs. and over); Moderate Carrying (15-44 pounds); Straight Pulling; Pushing; Reaching above Shoulder; Walking; Standing; Repeated bending; Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; Hearing aid (permitted); Ability to distinguish basic colors; Ability to distinguish shades of colors; Depth perception; Both eyes required; Both legs required; Use of fingers and both hands required.None
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- VA Form 10-2850a & Licensure
VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists can be found at: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey=&Action=Search. (Required)
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.
- Cover Letter
- VA Form 10-2850a & Licensure
- Other Veterans Document