Registered Nurse (RN) - Staff Nurse - Days - PRN
- South Texas Spine & Surgical Hospital
- San Antonio, Texas
- Jan 23, 2023
- Jan 30, 2023
- Med / Surg
- Contract Type
- Part Time
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Under the supervision of the ER/Inpatient Manager, the ER/Inpatient Registered Nurse is responsible for providing direct and indirect patient care in the Medical-Surgical setting. Evaluates, plans, implements, and documents nursing care for an assigned patient population. Assists physician during examinations and procedures. Performs various patient tests and administers medications within the scope of practice of the registered nurse. Promotes patient's' independence by establishing patient care goals and teaching patient and family to understand condition, medications, and self-care skills. Communicates with physicians, managers, supervisor and co-workers, as appropriate, about changes in the patient's clinical condition, including results of diagnostic studies and symptomatology. Is able to respond quickly and accurately to changes in condition or response to treatment.
Emergency Room duties, when in a Charge role, consist of directing nursing service activities in the Emergency Room setting. In addition, provides professional nursing care of assigned patients in the emergency room setting. Triages each patient and determines priority of care based on physical, psychological and social needs as well as factors influencing patient flow through the emergency care system. Performs focused assessment of chief complaint on each patient in a timely manner according to established triage guidelines. Communicates with physicians, managers, supervisor and co-workers, as appropriate about changes in the patient's clinical condition, including results of diagnostic studies and symptomatology. Is able to respond quickly and accurately to changes in condition or response to treatment.
Administrative responsibilities include cost awareness, and adherence to staffing schedule. Supervises other Registered Nurses as requested; and directs ancillary staff in the Emergency Room and Medical Surgical area. In conjunction with nursing leadership, the ER/Inpatient Registered Nurse may assist with development and implementation of policies and procedures, which assure that cost effective, safe and high quality of care, is implemented.
Projects a professional demeanor and appearance while maintaining the confidentiality of patients, coworkers, and facility information and adhering to the HIPAA policy. Reports, in good faith, any known or suspected activity that appears to violate laws, rules, regulations or the SP Code of Conduct. Fulfills annual Healthstream continuing education requirements.
The patient population served by South Texas Spine & Surgical Hospital is a minimum of 12 years and/or of adult stature to geriatric patients requiring or seeking pain and/or surgical intervention.
May be expected to lift up to 50 pounds or up to 150 pounds with assistance. May be expected to push or pull 150-300 pounds with assistance. Work is of medium demand; walking or standing most of the time while on duty. Visual and auditory acuity and manual dexterity essential to performing designated duties required. Optimal auditory acuity required. Manual dexterity involving the handling of equipment and instruments or armamentarium is essential to performing assigned duties. Physical conditions are clean, neat and well lit. May be subjected to unpleasant sights and odors, stressful situations and hazardous or infectious agents where judgment as to precautions needed to be taken is essential. Climate control and ambient temperature variances may be experienced and required by patient care and needs of the surgical team.
OSHA Exposure Classification: Job Category I. Direct contact with blood or other body fluids to which standard precautions apply. Personal protective equipment is made available and must be worn.
- Demonstrates eligibility for employment in the U.S.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing with current and valid licensure with Texas State Board of Nursing as a Registered Nurse.
- Orthopedic Experience Preferred
- BLS required, ability to achieve ACLS certification within 30 days of hire and PALS certification within 60 days of hire.
- 2 years of nursing experience required in the Medical/Surgical area.
- Knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field.
- Knowledge of state, federal and accrediting body regulations and standards related to healthcare.
- Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English, with additional languages preferred.
- Demonstrates ability to comprehend written and oral instructions.
- Willingness to participate in goal-setting and educational activities for his/her own professional advancement and that of others.
- Must be computer literate with basic fundamental computer skills that are required to perform essential job related duties.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Adheres to staffing schedules, attendance policy, and cooperates with daily assignments as requested.
- Demonstrates skills as a team player. As a Registered Nurse, shows appropriate delegation, while directing and supervising ancillary personnel in planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating patient care in the ER/Medical/Surgical clinical areas according to accepted standards. May be requested to perform charge duties.
- Provides direct patient care in the assigned clinical areas and demonstrates clinical competence.
- Participates in orientation of new staff, ensures facility morale exemplifies the mission and values of the facility.
- Demonstrates ability to solve problems timely and constructively; maintains focus on improving the situation.
- Willingness to teach others and participate in competency programs.
- Completes Healthstream modules in a timely manner annually.
- Participates in all staff meetings for department and facility for informative and educational purposes.
- Demonstrates highly effective communication skills with staff, management, physicians, patients, and family members.
- Establishes and maintains exceptional service to all customers including physicians, patients and employees with the goal of delighting all customers.
- Participates in service recovery by taking ownership of the situation and correcting problems. Keeps customers informed of progress related to clinical operations and provides comfort, information and assistance during the process.
- Models appropriate interaction with physicians, patients and staff to ensure high level of service in all areas of responsibility.
- Reviews daily schedule and prepares patient care areas based upon types of procedures and specific patient care needs.
- Communicates changes in status as necessary to physicians, family members, and other staff.
- Completes physical and psycho/social assessment.
- Complete and document physician orders, obtain necessary diagnostic test results and notifies appropriate physicians and staff regarding variances and/or concerns.
- Completes and documents discharge phone calls and reports problems and/or concerns.
- Completes the Nursing Notes and assures all patients have met the discharge criteria prior to discharge; and provides all patients specific discharge instructions.
- Assures the delivery of quality clinical care through participation in SP benchmarking programs.
- Assures facility clinical policies and procedures are followed.
- Maintains a safe clinical environment, adheres to all patient care safety requirements.
- Reviews and participates in performance improvement initiatives.
- Medical record documentation is accurate, legible, and in accordance with federal and accrediting standards.
- Participates in quality improvement activities.
- Conserves resources and minimizes cost when possible.
- Participates and assists with implementation of cost saving initiatives for the department.
- Communicates ideas for cost containment and reducing expense.
- Appropriate staffing levels and overtime is below established benchmarks.
- Medical record documentation should be completed accurately for all cases.
- Through competency and customer service, employee will contribute to the growth of the facility.
- Employee communicates service line development ideas with facility leadership.
- Employee engages in customer service conversations with physicians as adjunct to facility marketing initiatives.
This position offers premium pay, shift differentials (if applicable), a full suite of medical benefits, 401K, tuition reimbursement, and an opportunity to grow with an outstanding organization
This description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions may change as needs evolve.This position offers premium pay, shift differentials (if applicable), a full suite of medical benefits, 401K, tuition reimbursement, and an opportunity to grow with an outstanding organization
This description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions may change as needs evolve.