Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS), Neurosciences
As one of the nation's premier centers of excellence in patient care, medical education and biomedical research, NYU Langone Health (NYULH) provides a professional environment in which nurses can perform at their best and excel in their careers. Each and every day, is a new opportunity to learn, to grow, and to be a part of what makes us world-class.
NYULH nurses can choose from many clinical services and programs to begin or mature a professional career path that can span decades. The many opportunities that are available for nurses at all levels, from new Baccalaureate RN graduates to Advanced Practice Nurses, offer the ability to deliver world class nursing care in an intellectually-stimulating academic environment. Nurses at NYULH also demonstrate their professional practice through participation in the various councils that govern the practice of nursing, the quality of our care, and the discovery of new knowledge.
|NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New York area, including five inpatient locations, a children's hospital, three emergency rooms and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute¿designated cancer center, and NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. For more information, go to nyulangone.org, and interact with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Neurosciences Clinical Nurse Specialist in our Inpatient Neurosurgery Unit.
In this role, the successful candidate provides and integrates clinical leadership for a designated population based on a specialized knowledge base and participates in the design, implementation, and evaluation of practice standards that improve the delivery of high quality, comprehensive, and individualized, patient centered care. It includes the traditional components of patient care, consultation, research utilization and education with the aim of upholding the philosophy and goals of the institution, department of nursing and the clinical service. The specialist role is to understand the organizational role, implement practice initiatives, and uphold practice standards. To qualify, you must have a Master's Degree in Clinical Nursing Practice, Current Licensure as a Clinical Nurse Specialist by NYS Education Department with accredited board certification in Adult Health. The ideal candidate for this position needs to have at least four years of clinical nursing practice experience in the care of patient population served, ability to apply nursing process toward achievement of specific outcomes in an organized fashion which addresses patient/family satisfaction. The ideal candidate should demonstrate excellence of interpersonal skills, effective communication skills, and creative problem solving; understands the domains of the Magnet Model and implementation strategies pertinent to this specialty area of practice. Consistent evidence of ability to effectively work as a consultant to all levels of staff. Previous demonstration of ability to facilitate group processes and work cohesively with an interdisciplinary team; Membership in pertinent professional and/or specialty organizations. Physical stamina, manual dexterity, visual and aural acuity to perform responsibilities. Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
In this role, the successful candidate Provides and integrates clinical leadership for a designated population based on a specialized knowledge base and participates in the design, implementation, and evaluation of practice standards that improve the delivery of high quality, comprehensive, and individualized, patient centered care. It includes the traditional components of patient care, consultation, research utilization and education with the aim of upholding the philosophy and goals of the institution, department of nursing and the clinical service. The specialist role is to understand the organizational role, implement practice initiatives, and uphold practice standards.
EVALUATION & RESEARCH
1. Develops system for identifying, tracking, and managing patients in a designated population or service.
2. Contributes to the development of systems for collecting and analyzing data relevant to program evaluation.
3. Monitors practice patterns for trends in outcomes, costs, and resource utilization for the designated patient population.
4. Leads or supports quality and performance improvement initiatives consistent with departmental programs.
5. Develops and implements action plans in response to internal and external benchmarking data, problems, findings, issues, incidents, and complaints.
6. Leads or participates in interdisciplinary quality improvement programs and cultivates environment that promotes patient/significant other, physician, and staff satisfaction.
7. Applies research findings that support development of evidence-based practice.
8. Participates in and fosters staff involvement in nursing research efforts.
EDUCATION & DEVELOPMENT
1. Promotes own professional growth, development, and expertise in the role.
2. Creates unit milieu supportive of the education and development of the nursing staff and other health care providers consistent with the goals of a learning organization.
3. Identifies and addresses learning needs of professional and ancillary staff members.
4. Utilizes resources to plan and meet unit and individual staff learning needs.
5. Evaluates the effectiveness of education and development activities in achieving desired outcomes.
6. Serves as support and resource for the education of other health professionals.
LEADERSHIP & COORDINATION
1. Supports and interprets the mission, philosophy, standards, goals, and objectives of the institution and department.
2. Promotes patient, physician, and other consumer satisfaction by facilitating excellent customer service by all members of the health care team.
3. Serves as a role model for staff in considering needs and behaviors of specific patient age groups.
4. Assures compliance with standards and regulations promulgated by all applicable agencies.
5. Provides a suitable plan for optimal availability of resources for safe, competent, and effective patient care delivery.
6. Practices prudent fiscal management of resources.
1. Uses expertise as clinician, educator, consultant, and researcher in order to influence outcomes by increasing the quality and cost-effectiveness of outcomes for patients, nurses, and organizations.
2. Provides clinical leadership in assessing, implementing and evaluating the care provided to a targeted patient population of patients and their significant others according to professional and departmental standards.=
3. Acts as a professional role model to all levels of staff by incorporating expertise and related experience into all aspects of patient care and the nursing process.
4. Facilitates a strong collaborative interdisciplinary approach to achieve optimal patient outcomes.
5. Develops, promulgates, and fosters the implementation of process standards for the delivery of patient care relevant to area of practice.
6. Fosters ongoing patient/significant other education in an effort to facilitate effective clinical management across the continuum of care consistent with the individual needs of the patients and goals of the institution.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Health's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.