Certified Surgical Technician - Operating Room - PRN (Varied Hours as Needed)
Portsmouth Regional is a 209-bed acute care hospital located in Portsmouth, NH, and is part of HCA, the nations largest provider of healthcare services. Portsmouth Regional Hospital serves the seacoast regions residents in New Hampshire, Maine and Massachusetts and is one of the areas largest employers. Portsmouth Regional Hospital is the only Level II Trauma Center on the Seacoast and one of only three in New Hampshire to earn this important distinction.
The Surgical Technical provides technical assistance to physician/registered nurse in surgical procedures related to the operation of the Surgical and Minor Surgical Suite. Works collaboratively with Registered Nurse to prepare patients for surgical procedures to include all specialties, as appropriate, such as Cardiothoracic, Neurology, OB-GYN, ENT, Oral, Plastics, Orthopedics, General-Vascular, Ophthalmology and GU as well as the minor surgical suite. The Surgical Technologist scrubs for the surgical procedures and performs a variety of other duties related to the preparation and maintenance of the operating room environment. Maintains inventory of necessary equipment and supplies, orders supplies and restocks work area as assigned, assuring the availability of needed supplies.
- Demonstrates sound knowledge of surgical techniques, both routine and specialized, and performs in a
- professional manner. Applies this knowledge appropriately to develop and improve skills in assisting the surgeon and in the organization of work utilizing economy in time, motion and materials.
- Demonstrates competency with aseptic technique during surgery.
- Demonstrates ability to use all equipment and supplies necessary for surgical procedures.
- Develops and demonstrates initiative in order to inquire and explore new surgical procedures and subject relating to the operating room and to the surgical patient.
- Differentiates sterilization methods for special equipment and instruments necessary for specific surgical procedures.
- Demonstrates ability to retract, suction, irrigate, apply pressure and assist in homeostasis by use of assorted sponges in the surgical field under the direction of the surgeon.
- Performs co-circulating role with appropriate credentialing.
- Demonstrates self-direction above and beyond daily assignments and actively offers assistance to colleagues both within the main OR lab.
- Demonstrates collegially behavior of respect and consideration with regard to work environment, i.e. restocking rooms, returning equipment/supplies for other surgical procedures, cleaning work areas/station and or communicate as appropriate in the OR.