Nurse Practitioner (Occupational Health)
Southern Arizona VA Health Care System (SAVAHCS) is a Level 1 major interdisciplinary teaching facility with service-lines serving medical and surgical inpatients and outpatients, with a Level III Emergency Department, and multiple Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOC). SAVAHCS is recruiting for an Occupational Health Nurse Practitioner with advanced clinical knowledge and competence to provide professional assessment, coordination and planning of multiple healthcare services. Clinical core privileges and duties include:
- Management, treatment, and ordering, performing, and interpreting labs, radiography, and other diagnostic tests for VA employees, including volunteers, residents/students, and without compensation status employees.
- Provide evaluation and treatment to VA personnel with acute or emergency illnesses, and/or provide palliative care to allow employees to remain at work.
- Prescribe medications and administers procedures per established policies and guidelines.
- Participate in the development, implementation, and evaluation of quality improvement in Occupational Health. Makes appropriate recommendation or changes in practice based on supportive data collected on patients
- Assume accountability as a nurse practitioner by accepting responsibility as an Occupational Health Care provider, recognizing own abilities and limitations, and consistently seeks guidance and learning experiences that provide professional and personal growth
- Provide direct and indirect care to patients in the outpatient setting; acts on behalf of the patient to assure that necessary clinical services are received and that progress is being made toward care goals.
- Provide ongoing monitoring and evaluation of care management services.
- Adhere to established policies, standards of care and standards of practice.
- Demonstrate leadership when providing and improving patient care in an outpatient setting; serves as a role model when functioning as a clinical consultant/content expert.
- Demonstrate competency in and advanced knowledge of all aspects of Occupational Health practice including Infection Control, Industrial Hygiene, ergonomics, Safety, OWCP, Human Resource policy and relevant VA, JCAHO, federal, state and local regulations and requirements.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required.
Travel Required: Travel to other VA sites and Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOC).
Functional Statement Title/#: Nurse Practitioner - Occupational Health, VN-0610Basic Requirements:
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.
- Cover Letter
- VA Disability Letter