Perioperative Services Technician - Operating Room (Mixed Shift)
Methodist Hospital opened in 1963 as the first hospital in the now internationally acclaimed South Texas Medical Center. From the beginning, we've recognized the unique needs of each of our patients. It's a process that we continue to improve on, creating ways to better serve the community when they need us the most. With 981 beds, Methodist Hospital offers a broad range of specialties including cardiology, cancer care, bone marrow transplants, emergency medicine, neurosciences, maternity care, gynecology and orthopedics.
As the flagship hospital of the Medical Center and of the Methodist Healthcare system of hospitals, we appreciate the support and recognition we receive from the community having been ranked No. 1 in the Express-News Reader's Choice Awards. We also enjoy being the most preferred hospital in San Antonio, as consistently reported by the Consumer Research Corporation. Methodist Hospital is accredited by the Joint Commission in stroke care and is designated as an accredited Chest Pain Center. For more information, please visit our website at www.sahealth.com and select Methodist Hospital under Locations.
The Perioperative Services Technician
performs a variety of delegated tasks under the supervision of the Registered Nurse (RN). Consistently applies knowledge of perioperative cleaning practices and assists the perioperative patient care team by maintaining a clean, well-organized, adequately stocked, and safe patient environment.
Essential Job Functions
1. Transports patients from unit to OR taking care to check the pre-op checklist is complete before transport.
2. Assists OR team in the setup of equipment to include transporting machines, tanks, and related peripheral supplies.
3. Cleans and cares for equipment when not in use and ensures equipment remains plugged-in and covered. Ensures all equipment is functioning properly and reports machine/equipment malfunctions to the unit manager.
4. Assists in the pre-operative and intra-operative positioning of patients.
5. Provides support services to staff, including running errands as directed by the RN Circulator or Anesthesiologist (i.e. between lab, supply room, blood bank, etc.) to assist with smooth operation and coordination of care for surgical services patients.
6. Performs room turnover and assists with other housekeeping functions as directed.