Registered Nurse (RN) / Medical Surgical / Full Time / Days
Parkland Medical Center
Registered Nurse / Med/Surg Unit
PRACTICE STANDARDS/ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
1. Incorporates appropriate assessment and intervention skills in all interactions and delivery of nursing care.
• Assessment; intervention skills; evaluation; and equipment use/management.
2. Communicates with patients, team members, and management in an accurate, timely manner.
• Talks with, listens to patients/team members; reports pertinent, concise information; documents in a complete, timely manner; appropriately uses computer charting/ordering; protects confidentiality of patient/colleagues.
3. Applies critical thinking skills and considers alternatives.
• Organizes multitask workload; prioritizes tasks/work; seeks assistance; collects/integrates data from multiple sources; organizes/delivers care for multiple patient assignment.
4. Develops and maintains human care relationships.
• Acknowledges the impact illness/hospitalization has on patients and families; recognizes the importance of teamwork among care providers; adapts care management for diverse populations and environments; advocates for needs of clients; provides care in ethical and legal manner; refers concerns/issues to appropriate resources.
5. Manages self and resources effectively.
• Acknowledges limits of experience and capability and requests assistance appropriately; identifies learning needs and seeks resources; utilizes equipment and supplies appropriately; maintains clean, orderly environment of care; ensures traffic control in “sensitive areas”; seeks out and accepts feedback.
6. Applies leadership skills.
• Verbalizes scope of practice for self and others; interacts with others in professional manner; manages conflict; delegates and assigns care; coordinates care within multi-disciplinary team.
7. Incorporates teaching in delivery of care with a focus on heath promotion.
• Provides information to patient; assesses for barriers to learning; uses colleagues as a resource as appropriate; provides counseling about health behaviors, supports the preceptor model.
8. Applies knowledge of the patient populations served within unit/area of hire.
• Provides age-specific care; applies knowledge of expected norms in planning care (i.e., VS, lab values, assessment, etc); applies new data to improve care; integrates technical, psychological, social, intellectual, and physical skills.
9. Demonstrates the unit-specific skills required for assigned role and service area. Maintains other required competencies based on high-risk/low-volume/problem-prone areas.
10. Meets Parkland Medical Center standards related to:
• Patient Safety: reports actual or potential medical/health care errors, near-misses or other opportunities to improve patient safety. Participates in safety education, safety, quality and performance improvement initiatives.
• Customer Service/Patient Centered Care: shows genuine concern, respect, and ability to communicate cordially with patients, visitors, physicians, and other employees; is sensitive to customer inconveniences and responds accordingly.
• Confidentiality, compliance, patient/provider rights. Adheres to corporate and professional codes of conduct, Standards of Excellence, HIPAA privacy standards.
• Attendance, punctuality, meetings - Participates in continuing education programs & mandatory education to maintain competence and gain additional skills & documents attendance. Annual absenteeism will not exceed HR standards, attends at least 50% of staff meetings, reads communications.
11. Identifies personal learning needs based on performance, sets goals for the next 12 months. Meets goals established previously.