Surgical Technician Certified - Operating Room (Days)
Methodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital is licensed for 382 beds and has been nationally recognized by Leapfrogs Hospital Safety Grade A. It receives international acclaim for its outstanding and dynamic kidney, liver and pancreas transplant programs, setting record numbers for volume and outcomes. Methodist Specialty & Transplant Hospital is home to the Texas Transplant Institute, a nationally recognized center that recently performed the worlds first 16-way kidney donor exchange chain during three consecutive days at a single hospital.
Methodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital earned designation as a Center of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Excellence from the American Society for Bariatric Surgery in 2008. Our Sexual Assault Response Team provides a compassionate environment for sexual assault survivors ages 13 and up. This program serves as a model for hospitals and agencies all over the world. For more information, please visit our website at www.sahealth.com and select Methodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital under Locations.
The Surgical Technologist
assists with the delivery of quality surgical care through planning and anticipating the surgeon/procedure needs and coordinating with the circulating perioperative nurse during surgical procedures. Demonstrates competency in surgical technology; includes gathering and preparing sterile supplies, preparing/maintaining the sterile field, and assisting the surgeon by supplying sterile instruments to the sterile field. Performs routine scrub roles, as well as specifically delegated department duties. Consistently follows current AORN and regulatory standards.
Essential Job Functions
- Plans for and obtains the equipment and supplies needed for assigned procedures according to physicians' preference and specific patient needs.
- Prepares equipment and supplies according to manufacturer's recommendations and specifications for uses during surgical procedures. Opens sterile packs according to established aseptic techniques and protocols.
- Monitors sterile field during procedure and takes appropriate measures to insure integrity of sterile field
- Prepares medications and solutions for use during procedures under the direction of the Registered Nurse
- Maintains accountability for instruments according to hospital policy throughout the surgical procedure to ensure that no foreign objects are retained in the surgical wound. Takes appropriate action if item count is not correct and informs the appropriate staff.
- Consistently follows safety procedures for Timeout and when handling sharp instruments, powered equipment, hazardous chemicals, and lasers.