RN Patient Placement Coordinator (PRN, Mixed Shift)
RN Patient Placement Coordinator
PRN, Mixed Shift (7pm - 7am; 7am - 7pm; 11am - 11pm)
Statement of Duties:
The RN Patient Placement Coordinator is responsible for patient flow within the Methodist Healthcare System (MHS). Assigns patients to an appropriate hospital bed, monitors the demand for beds as needs become known through reservations, walk-ins, transfers, or Emergency Department admissions. Provides administrative authority of accepting transfer patients to all MHS facilities. Functions in conjunction with the Nursing Administrators, Admitting Departments, Clerical Staff and Nursing Unit staff. Participates in capacity management conference calls and necessary triage and evaluation of patients to prioritize bed assignments. Monitors and projects bed availability based on known, predicted, or expected transfers/discharges. Receives and coordinates all communication from Physicians and their office staff for admission requests.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Displays proficiency in using TeleTracking to assign patients to units, constantly monitoring demand with bed availability and needs. Will assure assignments are made by matching clinical needs of patients with bed assignments based on unit admission/discharge criteria.
2. Facilitates and provides leadership, direction and support for all patient flow operations within Methodist Healthcare System.
3. Responsible for accurately completing documentation on all transfer inquiries in the appropriate software. Responsible for initiating and communicating the Capacity Management Plan in conjunction with the Nurse Administrator.
4. Responsible for communicating bed availability and predicted patient flow issues to Nurse Directors, Nurse Administrators, and Hospital Administration. Communicates with Physicians and their offices and outlying facilities if placement of a specific patient will be problematic. Used critical thinking skills to determine the best course of action which will be satisfactory to the patient, MD and the hospital. Uses appropriate notification loop when bed availability does not match patient needs.
5. Responsible for assuring compliance with EMTALA regulations and giving administrative acceptance of all transfers and admissions into Methodist Healthcare System. Responsible for securing transport for transferring patients as requested by sending facility.
6. Responsible for partnering and strengthening relationships with Rural Physicians and within MHS and as well as and facilitating growth and increasing each MH hospitals volume depending on the campuses capacity and capability.