Home Based Primary Care (HBPC) is an interdisciplinary program that provides long term health care services to patients who are homebound. Population served includes those patients with multiple chronically active medical problems, impairment in self-care, non-ambulatory, cognitive impairment, frequent use of the ER / hospital, terminally ill, no caregiver/support network; no other accessible primary care provider. The HBPC Nurse Practitioner works in the Northern New York Rural Area. The HBPC Nurse Practitioner duties include;
- Provide and coordinate comprehensive, interdisciplinary, primary medical care & case management in the homes of veterans with complex medical, social, and behavioral conditions.
- Document patient's comprehensive health history in electronic medical record.
- Leadership and case management skills for complex home based primary care patients.
- Perform follow-up care.Review new outpatient referrals, obtain outside medical records, schedule appointments and orders pre-clinic testing.
- Prescribe appropriate medications.Provide education and support to patients and family members.
- Collaborate with treating physician and clinic staff to coordinate care, address issues and improve patient outcomes.
- Maintain contacts with Hospice personnel to ensure continuity of patient care.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Financial Discloser Report: Not RequiredBasic Requirements:
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required.
- National Nurse Practitioner Certification required.
- Nurse Practitioners in the Department of Veterans Affairs must possess a master's degree from a program accredited by the ACEN or CCNE.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6).
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Possess prescriptive authority in NYS.
Grade Determinations: Applicant's education and experience will be reviewed by a Professional Standards Board and utilized in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
References: VA Handbook 5005/27 Part II, Appendix G6, Nurse Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.Physical Requirements: Moderate lifting, 15-44 pounds, light carrying, under 15 pounds, straight pulling (2 hours), pushing (2 hours), reaching above shoulder, use of fingers, both hands required, walking (3 hours), standing (6 hours), kneeling (1.5 hours), repeated bending (2 hours), near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4, Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other, hearing (aid permitted), clear speech) and working closely with other.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), etc.
- Cover Letter