Charge RN, ICU - FT, 6:45pm - 7:15am
Shift: 6:45pm - 7:15am. Schedule will change due to needs of Charge coverage.
Under the direction of the ICU Clinical Coordinator, the ICU Charge Nurse works collaboratively with the leadership team, the department staff, physicians and interdisciplinary and ancillary staff to support day-to-day operations and patient care. The Charge Nurse is the front line leader responsible for role modeling the vision, core values and behavioral standards of Mercy Medical Center. The Charge Nurse is expected to demonstrate clinical excellence, skilled communication, true collaboration, effective decision-making, appropriate staffing decisions, authentic leadership, and performs operational responsibilities of the role.
- Performs basic skills of all staff reporting to Charge Nurse during shift including Unit Secretary, CNAs and RNs. Able and willing to fill in as needs arise.
- Functions as a Clinical Resource to staff in the management of complex patients, procedures and situations.
- Mentors, coaches and supports team members to meet patient and unit needs, gain skills and effectively adapt to change.
- Rounds on staff and patients to ensure commitment and compliance with safety, quality and satisfaction initiatives.
- Promotes a positive, collaborative and team oriented work environment.
- Demonstrates and holds team members accountable to strategic vision of service, quality/safety, stewardship and satisfaction.
- Actively participates in unit performance improvement activities and focuses on finding solutions.
- Demonstrates appropriate staffing decisions that match assessed patient needs with nurse competencies.
- Demonstrates fiscal responsibility though appropriate use of resources and staffing adjustments as indicated by census, activity or acuity.
- Assesses productivity every four hours within shift, anticipates changes and manages staff appropriately to maintain productivity and safety. Justifies variance when safety outweighs productivity.
- Demonstrates appropriate clinical judgment and flexibility to ensure patient safety is maintained throughout shift.
- Triages patient flow and facilitates turn-around times within 45 minutes.
- Delegates unit activities and assignments within scope of practice of job role. Completes follow-up to ensure activities and assignments are complete.
- Responds to Code 4’s and RRT’s throughout hospital, except the Emergency Department. Notifies Emergency Department when back up is needed.
- Assigns Pyxis access to temporary users and performs weekly narcotic inventory.
- Ensures department is operating safely and is responsive to emergencies. Ensures all equipment is stocked and ready for use.
- Communicates with oncoming Charge RN and Clinical Coordinator regarding unit activity, acuity, staffing, risk management and satisfaction concerns. Follows chain of command when problems require higher level resolution.
Two (2) years recent experience as an RN in ICU required.
Previous Charge RN experience in ICU is preferred.
The candidate must be able to independently and competently manage crisis, advanced critical care patients and equipment.
Must possess excellent organizational, communication and leadership skills as well as a positive attitude