RN Community Care
The incumbent is assigned to the Office of Community Care. The section, care line, or department description and patient population served is as defined in applicable Scope of Service. The Nurse functions as a primary nurse for a defined group of patients for her/his shift. The incumbent is responsible and accountable for all elements of the nursing process when providing indirect patient care. The incumbent assesses, plans, implements, and evaluates care based on age- and culture-specific components. The incumbent assumes responsibility for the coordination of care focused on patient transition through the continuum of care, patient, and family education, patient self-management after discharge, and supporting factors that impact customer satisfaction. The incumbent provides care and counseling of persons in the promotion and maintenance of health and prevention of illness and injury based upon the nursing process, which includes systematic data gathering, assessment, appropriate nursing judgment, and evaluation of human responses to actual or potential health problems through such services as case finding, health teaching, health counseling; provision of care supportive to or restorative of life and well-being; and executing medical regimens ordered by a licensed or otherwise legally authorized community provider. The incumbent considers all characteristics of the individual, including age and life stages, state of health, race and culture, values, and previous experiences. The incumbent influences care outcomes by collaborating with members of an interdisciplinary team. Core elements of performance include knowledge and active participation in unit/program level quality improvement processes and initiatives, as well as customer service programs. The nurse's primary commitment is to the patient, whether an individual, family, group, or community.
Work Schedule: Flexible we have 4 day work schedules
Financial Disclosure Report: Registered Nurse
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Moderate Lifting 35 lbs.
Use of fingers
Both hands required
Walking/standing intermittently up to a period of one continuous hour. Total walk/stand time for the day up to 4 hours.
Intermittent sitting up to a period of one continuous hour. Total sitting time for the day up to 4 hours.
Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously
Ability to distinguish shades of colors
Typing intermittently for approximately one to five hours per day
Reaching above shoulder required to obtain supplies or light objects
Fine motor movements of hand/fingers required to pump blood pressure bulb to obtain blood pressure readings up to 10 times per day.
Hearing acuity to auscultate using stethoscope (i.e. Blood pressure, lung sounds, etc.).
Corrected vision to 20/30
Ability to exert 20 lbs. of pressure to compress an adult chest 2" for approximately 1-2 minutes (CPR)
Frequent hand washing/sanitizing required
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online on boarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.