Registered Nurse - Quality RN (VASQIP)
The Quality Management Service Line RN is accountable to the Chief, Quality Management. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to data acquisition, knowledge management and service line improvements. The nurse will evaluate the quality of patient care delivery, utilizing a variety of assessment tools, including occurrence screens, clinical reminder reports, clinical assessment/electronic medical record review, medical record reviews (e.g. EPRP), external reviews etc. The QMSLN demonstrates leadership skills at the program, service line, and medical center level. The nurse communicates and collaborates with all levels of hospital personnel to evaluate service line performance data (professional practice evaluations), quality, cost effective services, and outcomes ensuring that those functions are consistent with sound patient care and in meeting standards set by regulatory bodies, professional organizations, medical center policy and VHA policy. The incumbent makes recommendations to management officials for improvement of care, which may include recommendations for performance improvement or corrective actions, and prepares requests, reports, recommendations and responses to the VISN and VA Headquarters related to all aspects of quality management, compliance and external reviews. The nurse provides staff development, education, and training in the use of mission critical software, data acquisition, and knowledge management. Knowledge of Lean and Lean Six Sigma principles preferred. The nurse is a consultant to health care providers in the service line. This position works with the VA National Surgery Office and the Veterans Affairs Surgical Quality Improvement Program (VASQIP) program EKHCS. Travel between the Leavenworth and Topeka campuses is required.
Preferred Education/Experience: Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing (BSN) and at least 5 years of successful clinical nursing practice, OR Master's Degree in Nursing (MSN) or health related field with additional research/quality improvement and statistical training is preferred. Knowledge of Lean principles and lean Six Sigma experience preferred.
Work Schedule: Full-time, Days
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.