You will serve as the Registered Nurse for the Non-VA Care Center (NVACC) Section of the VA Texas Valley Coastal Bend Health Care System (VATVCBHCS). You will assist in the coordination of non-VA patient care between the VA and outside facilities and physician offices. You will review and approve consults based on established criteria and service agreements. Communicate with patients and other staff as needed to confirm consult status and care received. You must demonstrate proficiency in advanced and highly technical skills necessary for the NVACC Program specifically related to consults review and approval, appointment verification, and obtaining appropriate documentation. You will collect patient data by interview, examination and review of records systematically; complete data collection forms as required and document in CPRS as needed. You will also work collaboratively with other services and refer questions about fee and eligibility to those appropriate staff.
- Establish work priorities to accomplish assignments timely, achieve program and system goals, and meet established criteria.
- Contact facilities/offices regarding patient appointments and obtaining medical documentation of care provided.
- Provide documentation to HIMS staff for scanning into the patient's medical record.
- Assess patients records and consults following established criteria for accuracy and documents appropriately on database.
- Initiate, provide, maintain, and analyze accurate documentation and databases.
- Consult with nurse practitioner or provider with questions regarding consults and for quality of care issues.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required.Basic Requirements:
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- 2 - 3 years Case Management experience preferred
- 2 - 3 years Medical-Surgical nursing experience preferred
- Candidates must have the ability to coordinate care with internal and external providers/facilities
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.
- Cover Letter
- VBA LETTER