Advanced Practice Nurse (Mental Health)
The Northeast Ohio VA Healthcare System is recruiting for a full time Nurse Practitioner (NP) or Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) in mental health at the Canton Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC) in Community Outpatient Service (COPS). The purpose of the position is to provide comprehensive mental/behavioral health care including primary care integration to a complex patient population in the outpatient setting. This involves coordinated care with an emphasis on preventive measures as well as treatment of chronic diseases. The NP or CNS will function interdependently with physicians and will be responsible for providing quality care, consultation, education and collaboration with other healthcare professionals.
This position will remain open until the end of the calendar year. A first cut-off of January 16th, 2018 and subsequent cut-offs every Tuesday thereafter will be established and all qualified applications received by the cut-off date will be forwarded to the selecting official for a review. A selection may be made at any time during the opening of the announcement.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Possess a master's degree from a program accredited by the NLNAC or CCNE.
- Maintain full and current certification as a nurse practitioner from the American Nurses Association or another nationally recognized certifying body. The certification must be in the specialty to which you are applying.
- Master's Degree with a Psychiatric/Mental Health focus from an academic program accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- Experience in the care and treatment of patients in an outpatient setting and experience with complex mental health/behavior health.
- Prescribing Experience.
- Work independently and able to make highly competent professional judgments and decisions, solid clinical acumen, and provide support to physicians.
- Work in an interdisciplinary team.
- Patient/family education skills.
- Prescriptive Authority.
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Resume (when listing previous employment please include month and year).
- If prior military service, include all copies of your DD-214 or proof of service as well as proof of disability, if applicable. You must submit your documentation showing character of discharge.