Registered Nurse-Operating Room
Position Summary: Recruitment is open for full-time staff RNs for both the Cardiovascular Operating Room and General Operating Room. Candidates for either position should have operating room experience of 2 or more years with recent circulating experience. The individual selected for this position will be accountable to the Nurse Manager/OR/HA/Outpatient Surgery.
Duties include but are not limited to:
Responsibility for nursing activities related to the care of the patient in the operating room
Scrub and Circulate OR/Cardio Thoracic Surgeries
Delivers safe, preoperative nursing care with specialized focus for individual surgery services.
Complete Operating Room assessments
Develops nursing care plan
Maintains confidentiality of patient information
Provides safe care and conserves resources
Adheres to safety and health standards, regulations and work practices
Communicates plan of care to patients and communicates patient progress to other providers
Reports work related illness/injuries
Completes all mandatory annual reviews
Communicate effectively with coworkers
Identifies unit QI measures and results
Identifies interventions that are ineffective and not research based
How to apply: Apply through the USAJOBs website. Please ensure all documents are provided as requested. HR will not forward an incomplete application.
Work Schedule: Varies depending on the need of the service. Call is required.
Recruitment and Relocation Bonus may be authorized.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
verbal and written communication skills.
-Strong, positive interpersonal/customer service skills.
-Demonstrated integrity, dependability and ability to function
independently with minimal supervision.
-Demonstrated ability to function as a self-directed, productive
team member and adapt readily to varying patient care needs and
fluctuation in workload.
-Demonstrated ability to use hospital computer programs.
- Ability to work flexible hours as required.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists can be found at: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey=&Action=Search.
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), etc.
- Cover Letter
- RN License
- VA Service Connection Letter