Nurse Practitioner (1W Inpatient and Outpatient)
Southern Arizona VA Health Care System (SAVAHCS) is a Level 1 major interdisciplinary teaching facility with services providing care to medical and surgical inpatients and outpatients, with a Level III Emergency Department, and multiple Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOC). SAVAHCS is recruiting a Medical Nurse Practitioner (NP) for the Mental Health Service to provide professional assessment, coordination and planning of multiple health care services; act on behalf of the Veteran to assure that necessary clinical services are received and that progress is being made toward care goals. The scope of the coordination of care will be throughout the continuum of care to assure that care is timely, appropriate, of high quality and cost effective. The incumbent will:
- Provide ongoing monitoring and evaluation of care management services.
- Provide medical evaluation, treatment, and consultation for patients hospitalized on the 1 W inpatient psychiatric unit.
- Provide consultation to the medical and surgical wards regarding management of alcohol detoxification and substance use disorder treatment; provides consultation to the ED for patients who present with alcohol use disorder; and facilitates the admission of those who require inpatient detoxification on 1 W.
- Provide buprenorphine treatment for opiate use disorder including initial evaluation, induction, and maintenance. This requires that the incumbent possess a DEA-X certificate or have a plan to secure a DEA-X certificate.
- Maintain a buprenorphine clinic for treatment of opiate use d/o.
- Assist with occasional coverage of our innovative Medical Clinic collocated in our Mental Health Clinic, Homeless Program Medical Clinic, and Mental Health Residential Rehabilitation Program as needed.
- Will be accountable for adhering to established policies, standards of care and standards of practice.
- Demonstrate leadership when providing and improving patient care in all settings.
- Serve as a role model when functioning as a clinical consultant and content expert.
- Collaborate with physicians, pharmacists, therapists, registered nurses, and social workers.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Functional Statement Title/#: Nurse Practitioner Mental Health Service (MHS) - 1W Inpatient and Outpatient, VN-0610Basic Requirements:
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Transferring patients and objects may be required. Mechanical lifts may be provided. The incumbent may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations, operative/invasive procedures, or home settings. The incumbent may occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on patient needs. Must complete annual Employee Health requirements, such as annual TB screening or testing, as a condition of employment.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.
- Cover Letter