Registered Nurse -Mental Health Outpatient Clinic
The incumbent practices as the Nurse in the Outpatient Mental Health Clinic at VA Northern Indiana Health Care System. The nurse will provide assessment and intervention services for patients enrolled in the Mental Health Clinic (MHC). Patient populations include Veterans who present with the full range of DSM-V mental disorders, including mood disorders, anxiety disorders, psychotic disorders, and substance use disorders. Patients are likely to present with co-morbid medical conditions, functional decline and unstable living conditions. The RN executes position responsibilities that demonstrate leadership, experience, and creative approaches to management of complex client care. The MHC RN is responsible for demonstrating and maintaining clinical expertise and knowledge of chronic disease management, preventive health, wellness and recovery principles to improve the quality of patient care. Based on education and experience, the nurse may be assigned responsibilities as a preceptor to nursing students and/or new employees. He/she is an experienced practicing nurse and will seek expert nursing consultation for complex cases as needed
The VA Northern Indiana Health Care System (VA NIHCS) is a multi-campus facility, having a
total of 285 operating beds (75 psychiatric; 150 Nursing Home Care Unit beds; 30 inpatient
acute medical/surgical/ICU; 30 Residential Beds), Community Based Outpatient Clinics in Mishawaka, Goshen, Peru and Muncie, Indiana and Veterans Resource Centers in Fort Wayne and Logansport, Indiana. The facility also serves a large outpatient population encompassing
approximately 40,000 Veterans in Northern Indiana and Northwestern portion of Ohio.
Work Schedule: Typically Administrative may include some off tours/week-ends
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
2-3 years of mental health experience.
Nursing Case Management experience.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Registered Nurse Functional Requirements: Heavy Lifting 50 lbs and over (intermittently); Carrying up to 45 lbs (intermittently); Repeated bending; Straight Pulling up to 45 lbs (intermittently); Straight Pushing up to 45 lbs (intermittently); Stooping (intermittently); Squatting (intermittently); Kneeling (occasionally); Use of both arms; Use of both hands; Use of fingers; Overhead work, both arms (intermittently); Prolonged walking (up to 4 hours/day); Prolonged standing (up to 4 hours/day); Sitting (up to 2 hours/day); Far Vision - correctable in one eye to 20/20 and 20/40 in the other; Near Vision - correctable to read newsprint at 13-16 inches; Ability to distinguish shades of colors; Hearing - ability to hear and understand the spoken voice from a distance of 8 feet. Emotional and mental stability - ability to effectively perform the essential functions of the position and respond appropriately in emergency situations.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.
- Cover Letter