Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner
6 days left
- Full Time
The NP consults with the on-call psychiatrist regarding mental health patients.
Delivers holistic and comprehensive patient focused mental health services as the primary provider or as a case manager of selected groups of patients utilizing the nursing process which includes: Assessment, Diagnosis, Planning, Implementation and Evaluation and modification based upon the response to the plan of care. Consults with a Psychiatrist as needed to provide appropriate care of patients.
Serves as a mental health care provider, prescribing and monitoring the implementation of pharmacological and psychotherapeutic interventions, which include antipsychotic, anti anxiety, psycho stimulant, and antidepressant medications.
Provides psychotherapy, crisis intervention, brief problem solving, and counseling to Veterans, families and groups for the treatment and management of substance abuse, psychotic disorders, stress disorders, and other psychiatric disorders including dementia.
Orders and interprets laboratory tests.
Initiates requests for consultation services with specialty care, psychiatry, psychology, social work, and neurology.
Assists with providing mental health care to patients on the inpatient units and outpatient Mental Health clinic during their tours of duty.
Serves as a case manager for selected patients optimizing patient outcomes while providing cost effective care across the continuum of care.
Responds to each unscheduled fire alarm and to all emergency situations, catastrophic occurrences, including disaster drills.
Responds to all Code II situations.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 7:30am to 4:00pm
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), etc.
- Cover Letter
- Other Veterans Document