Registered Nurse Case Manager (Transition & Care Management)
The West Texas VA Health Care System is actively recruiting for a Registered Nurse Case Manager for the Transition and Care Management section of Social Work Service. The TCM Case Manager is responsible for acquiring and demonstrating clinical expertise and knowledge of health care programs to improve the quality of patient care, the use of resources, and to facilitate compliance with internal and external requirements and standards; acquiring and demonstrating strength in the areas of interpersonal relations, critical thinking, problem solving, and conflict resolution; collaborating with other case managers, the Interdisciplinary Care Management Review Team (IDCMRT) and other clinical and administrative staff as needed to ensure patient care needs are met.
The TCM Case Manager provides clinical case management for severely-injured and/or ill post 9/11 SM/Vs and other SM/Vs with identified case management needs. The incumbent begins the case management process prior to admission to the facility and works collaboratively with staff from other Veterans Health Administration (VHA) facilities, Military Treatment Facilities, and various referring facilities. The TCM completes an in-depth assessment of functional status, acuity level, prognosis, and assesses the need for treatment services and resources. The TCM initiates contact with the patient and/or family to assist and ensure the transition to the VHA is safe and continuous. The incumbent monitors patient status while the patient is receiving care at the facility. The TCM Case Manager communicates and coordinates with the IDCMRT to develop a biopsychosocial Comprehensive Plan (CP) of care for post 9/11 inpatients and outpatients. When determined by the IDCMRT, The TCM Case Manager may serve as the Lead Coordinator. The TCM Case Manager documents appropriately in within the patient record, Care Management Tracking and Referral Application (CMTRA) and the Interagency Comprehensive Plan (ICP). The incumbent, in collaboration with the IDCMRT, is responsible for coordinating performance improvement initiatives and for collecting relevant data required for Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) certification and Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JC) standards.
Work Schedule: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm Monday - Friday and may depend on the hiring facility.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), etc.
- Cover Letter