RN Urology Clinic
The Orlando VA Medical Center is seeking an RN to care for patients treated in our Outpatient Urology Clinic. This RN will be expected to have advanced knowledge/skills/experience in assisting with office procedures directed toward the management of urology conditions, as well as expertise in starting intravenous (IV) lines and administering IV medications. This RN will require excellent assessment and organizational skills, a thorough knowledge and understanding of case management practices, and the ability to effectively prioritize patient care delivery based on patient acuity and workload. Other essential attributes for this position are the ability to be self-directed and have excellent communication, interpersonal and decision-making skills. Demonstration of effective patient/staff education training/teaching skills is required, as well as an ability to provide clear, concise, understandable verbal instructions to patients, significant others and other staff members. The RN in the Urology Clinic will provide basic urology care, including set-up and assisting the Urologist with prostate biopsies, cystoscopies, minor surgical procedures, catheter changes, Flow-rate/post-void residuals, and Intravesical infusions. Cross training to all surgical specialty clinics will be required. Cross training to Pain intervention procedures will also be required. Active participation in the development and implementation of performance improvement activities to improve the care of the urology patients is also required. This RN will report to the Nurse Manager for Surgical Services.
Work Schedule: Normal work the 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM tour of duty but must be willing to adjust their tour of duty as needed to meet the needs of the clients.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing (BSN) is preferred.
- National certification in Certified Nurse Operating Room (CNOR) or in Urological Nursing (SUNA) is preferred.
- A minimum of five years successful nursing practice; substantial experience with patients having a wide range of urologic conditions is recommended.
- Demonstrated ability in previous assignments to make critical decisions in stressful environments.
- Demonstrated dependability for duty and flexibility in work assignments and hours in previous assignments
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online on boarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
Applicants who are current VA employees must submit:
1.) Updated VA Form 2850a: Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists,
2.) Copies of their last two (2) annual proficiency reports,
3.) A copy of the most recent SF-50 that indicates current title, series, grade and salary,
4.) A copy of any pertinent certifications.
Applicants who are not VA employees must submit:
1.) VA Form 2850a: Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists,
2.) Form OF-306: Declaration of Federal Employment,
3.) Current curriculum vitae (CV), including all professional education/degrees earned with name of school and date degree conferred,
4.) Copies of transcripts to validate each level of academic achievement (diploma, ADN, BSN, MSN, etc.) and all licensure/national certification documentation,
5.) Copies of two (2) most recent annual performance appraisals/evaluations.
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), etc.