Nurse (Patient Safety)
The Patient Safety Manager RN collaborates with other members of the Patient Safety program and possesses comprehensive knowledge of principles and practices of the health care field with emphasis on patient safety. The incumbent is responsible for providing leadership in developing a culture of safety within VA Boston Healthcare System. S/He also possesses strong skills in consulting, education, database and information management, evaluation techniques, group process, team and organizational development, and customer service and satisfaction. Application of such knowledge must include a systems perspective to appropriately influence care across the continuum. The incumbent must therefore demonstrate an ability to teach and make formal presentations. The incumbent reports to the Associate Director, Quality Management, in line to the Medical Center Director, and has work coordinated through the Lead Patient Safety Manager. As an active member of the Performance Management Team, the incumbent demonstrates professional practice in leadership assignments and is part of planning and controlling program resources to include financial, human, material and/or informational to aid in carrying out program responsibilities.
Work Schedule: Full-time Mon - Fri 7:30am to 4:00pm
- This position is a AFGE Bargaining Unit position.
- Travel and relocation expenses are not authorized.
- Selectee may be required to work at any Boston Healthcare System campus, as needed.
- Candidates who meet the qualification requirements within 15 calendar days following the closing date of the announcement will be considered.
- Permanent appointment in this position is subject to review by the Nurse Professional Standards Board.
- This position is in the Excepted Service.
- Position is not required to file a financial disclosure report.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
- 5+ yrs. Of Acute Care Nursing Experience
- Experience as a Patient Safety Manager, or experience working in patient safety program
- Experience as a Program Manager, or Supervisor skills.
- Experience/certification in LEAN Six Sigma
- Experience/certification in Quality
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
*Resume: Your resume must include the following information for each job that you list:Job title; Complete Work Place Addresses ; Duties (be as detailed as possible); Month and year start/end dates (e.g. June 2007 to April 2008); Full-time, part-time status, PRN (include hours worked per week).
- Copy of License
- Copy of Transcripts
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
*Other Veterans Document