Bay Pines VA Healthcare System in beautiful Saint Petersburg, Florida is actively recruiting and has an immediate
opening for a full time Psychiatric Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner in the Geropsychiatry program. The Nurse
Practitioner manages the psychiatric needs for the elderly Veteran population with complex psychiatric and comorbid
medical conditions. As a member of the Geropsychiatry team, responsibilities include assessment, diagnosis and treatment of mentalhealth problems as well as initiating and adjusting therapeutic regimens, ordering diagnostic and therapeutic tests/studies, initiating consults and referrals, and prescribing medications and supplies in accordance with VA Policy, VA Formulary and State Regulations. Other activities may include crisis interventions/triage, supervision of graduate students and participation in Medical Center committees or task groups.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 8:00am - 4:30pm
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Two to three years' experience as Nurse Practitioner
- Above-average computer skills, outstanding interpersonal skills, good organizational skills, strong problem-solving skills and decision-making capacity
- Self-starter, able to function independently, be a team player, and must be able to prioritize and function effectively in a high volume program
- Board Certification as an Advanced Practice Psychiatric-Mental Health NP from ANCC, state Licensure as APRN with prescriptive authority, and a minimum of two years of clinical experience
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Heavy Lifting, 45 pounds and over
Heavy Carrying 54 pounds and over
Straight pulling (2-6 hours)
Pushing (2-6 hours)
Reaching above shoulder
Use of fingers
Both hands required
Walking (5-9 hours)
Standing (4-8 hours)
Excessive noise, intermittent
Slippery or uneven surfaces
Working around moving objects and vehicles
Unusual fatigue factors
Working with hands in water
Working closely with others
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.