Nurse Manager (Transfer Office)
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Time scheduling of the unit, coaching staff, dealing with employee conduct and performance issues, and completing recurring reports and performance evaluations in a timely manner.
- Participating in service and medical center committees and task forces to improve nursing practice and patient care;
- Identifying educational needs of staff and ensures that these needs are addressed.
- Planning work to be accomplished by subordinates, setting priorities and preparing schedules for completion of work.
- Assigning work to subordinates based on priorities, selective consideration of the difficulty and the requirements of the assignments, and the capabilities of subordinates.
- Evaluating the performance of subordinates.
- Making recommendations for appointments, advancements or reassignments of subordinates
- Giving advice, counsel, or instruction to subordinate personnel on work and administrative matters.
- Hearing and resolving complaints of subordinates and referring more serious complaints not resolved to higher level supervisors.
- Recommending and/or taking disciplinary action where appropriate.
- Identifying developmental and training needs of subordinates and providing or making provision for such development and training.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education: Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Licensure: Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Physical Standards: Registered Nurses appointed to direct patient care positions must undergo a pre-employment physical as required by VA policies and procedures.
- English Language Proficiency: Registered Nurses appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in both spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d), and 7407(d).
Minimum of three (3) years of recent, (within past 5 years) full time clinical experience as a RN in Inpatient Setting
- BSN Preferred
- Proficient experience with Excel, Word, PowerPoint with focus on designing spreadsheets and data charts.
- A high degree of personal and professional accountability, maturity, stability and the ability to function independently and work effectively as a team with other personnel at all levels in the organization.
- Ability to adapt to changing work assignments as needed to meet facility needs.
- Ability to oversee, direct and manage staff, including competency validation, evaluations and addressing disciplinary needs.
- Effective oral/written communications.
- Exceptional internal and external customer service skills.
- Experience with timecard management and scheduling of staff.
- Experience with recruitment and retention of nursing staff.
- BLS Requirement: Current certification in BLS is required for all staff providing direct patient care, and police. If selected, obtain such certification in order to avoid any delays in the hiring process.
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.
- Cover Letter
- VHA 10-2850A, Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetiss, copy of licenses/registration, copy of BLS certification
- Other Veterans Document