The Morehead City Clinic maintains the health and manages the care for patients with a variety of medical problems including hypertension, diabetes, arthritis, cancer, congestive heart failure and other chronic diseases. The clinic is designed to provide comprehensive primary care services, including gender specific care to male and female veterans. The clinic is staffed by providers (Attending physicians, mid-level providers, and/or house staff), registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, pharmacists, dieticians, social workers and medical support assistants. Group and individual diabetes education is offered by a Certified Diabetes Educator RN and a Registered Dietician. An RN/LPN has an encounter with patients on each visit for screening, education and referrals. Using protocols, nursing staff can order tests, lab work, enter consult requests and administer immunizations. PT-INR Clinic; an RN/Pharmacy based clinic is available to provide care and monitoring for stable patients receiving anti-coagulation therapy. Medication management is provided by the clinical Pharmacist. Nurse visits provide care for patient issues not requiring a provider appointment, for example such as blood pressure checks, blood sugar monitoring, medication administration, immunizations, ear irrigations and education related to disease/self-management and equipment and Tele-Retinal Imaging.
The Licensed Practical Nurse will work under the direction of the RN and report to the Nurse Manager. He or she will perform, report and record assigned nursing care in the Clinic Laboratory and Primary Care Clinics, including, but not limited to:
- Completing phlebotomy procedures in the lab
- Assisting with minor procedures, including obtaining and arranging necessary equipment, positioning patients, ensuring comfort and privacy - monitoring patient during the procedure
- Provision of direct nursing care to patients with an emphasis on patient teaching, care coordination and interventions such EKGs and phlebotomy
- Documentation of care activities
- Perform procedures, treatments and delegated tasks
- Medication administration and oxygen therapy
- Clinical reminders with appropriate consults and alerts as indicated
- Cleaning and reprocessing of reusable medical equipment
Work Schedule: Monday-Saturday, 8 hour tours between the hours of 7:00 am-6:00 pm.
- U.S. Citizenship by birth or naturalization
- Graduate of approved School of Practical or Vocational Nursing
- Current, full, and unrestricted license to practice.
- Proficient in written and spoken English
- A minimum of two years successful nursing practice
- One year recent experience in the outpatient primary care/internal medicine setting
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed and require minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability to work well with patients/families and with other health care professionals
- Demonstrated experience in providing patient education and health coaching
- Demonstrated ability to use computer systems in support of patient care delivery
- Documented evidence of interdisciplinary collaboration, team work, and excellent interpersonal skills
- Documented evidence of providing consistent excellent customer service
- Computer skills and typing proficiency sufficient to permit real-time documentation of patient encounters
Heavy Lifting (45 lbs and over); Heavy Carrying (45 lbs and over); Straight Pulling; Pushing; Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking; Standing; Repeated bending; Climbing, Both legs required; Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 in one eye and 20/40 in the other.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
VA Form 10-2850c Application for Associated Health Occupations can be found at: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey=&Action=Search.
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, documentation to support Veterans Preference or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees).
- Cover Letter
- Other Veterans Document