Registered Nurse - Radiation / Oncology
5 days left
- Full Time
The RN Hematology/Oncology/Chemotherapy infusion staff nurse is a registered nurse responsible for the highly specialized care of the cancer patient through the continuum of care from diagnosis, treatment, and follow- up care. This position potentially requires flexibility in schedule and assignments in the out-patient Cancer Center. The incumbent must be poised and articulate in communicating with people of varied educational levels and varied ethnic backgrounds. Able to work cooperatively as a member of a team in all assignments. Makes caring for the Veteran his/her priority while in the work setting and demonstrates customer service principles in all aspects of work.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF ASSIGNED DUTIES:
- Demonstrates leadership in delivering and improving holistic cancer care through collaborative strategies with others.
- Adheres to ONS guidelines for practice of Oncology Nursing and safe handling of hazardous drugs.
- Collaborates with multi-disciplinary and multi-specialty colleagues to provide optimal patient care.
- Plans, implements and evaluates care based on age specific requirements of the patient.
- Initiates/participates in performance improvement activities that result in approved outcomes.
- Evaluates practice of self and others using professional standards, relevant statutes, and regulations.
- Adheres to established guidelines, policies, procedures and standards of practice.
- Takes action to improve performance.
- Models commitment to customer service.
- Acquires knowledge and skills to maintain expertise in area of practice.
- Participates in educational activities to improve clinical knowledge and enhance role performance.
- Educates colleagues and/or students and serves as a preceptor and/or mentor.
- Supports and enhances patient self-determination.
- Serves as a resource for patients, family and staff in addressing ethical issues.
- Uses group process to identify, analyze and resolve care problems.
- Uses a body of research to validate and/or change work group evidenced based practice.
- Identifies and assesses resource utilization and safety issues, taking appropriate action.
Work Schedule: Full time, Monday-Friday with potential for weekend and off tour hours.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- For Applicants enrolled in MSN Bridge or Non-traditional courses of study: The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
BSN or BS in a related field preferred
2 years of experience as an RN working in Hematology/Oncology within the last 5 years preferred
5 years working as an RN on a med/surg unit required
BLS certification required
ONS/ONCC Chemotherapy/Biotherapy certificate required or obtained within 1 year
OCN certification preferred
Case management/care coordination experience preferred
Qualified individuals must possess the ability to work with multiple disciplines in a complex, highly technical clinical environment.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), etc.
- Cover Letter
- VA 2850a
- Other Veterans Document