Director of Nursing (DON) - Registered Nurse (RN)
PrimeCare Medical is currently looking for a Registered Nurse (RN) to work as the Director of Nursing (DON) in the medical department at the North Central Regional Jail. In this role the DON manages and evaluates nursing care delivery in accordance with PrimeCare Medical (PCM) philosophy, goals, and objectives. The DON also ensures that nursing practice complies with established nursing standards.
• Report to and meet with Health Services Administrator and Medical Director on a regular basis.
• Prepare reports as required. Maintain a professional nursing attitude at all times.
• Maintain a professional working relationship with facility staff, unit staff, contracted providers, outside service providers and Corporate Staff.
• Is tactful and diplomatic at all times.
• Functions as a role model for nursing staff.
• Make use of established Corporate and Facility policies and procedures in decision-making.
• Must use factual data and sound independent judgment in meeting the responsibilities and performing the duties of this position.
• Interpret and ensure compliance with established standards of PCM and NCCHC/ACA.
• Orient, supervise and evaluate performance of nursing personnel (in collaboration with Health Services Administrator).
• Final approvals must be received from Corporate staff.
• Assign and direct nursing staff.
• Develop and monitor work schedules and provides coverage with appropriate staff to maintain adequate staffing levels.
• Maintain accurate records of all controlled substances, narcotics, and sharps in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
• Provide health counseling to inmates/patients.
• Conduct sick call for inmates/patients and provide provisional diagnosis and treatment for selected minor illness and injuries defined by written protocol approved by PCM Medical Director.
• Refer all cases not covered by written protocol that do not respond to treatment to an appropriate PCM Physician.
• Receive and give inter-shift report to ensure continuity of care and to disseminate pertinent information necessary to the functioning of the on-coming shift. Observe, report, and document symptoms, reactions, and progress of inmates/patients and formulate a plan of nursing care.
• Review, evaluate and coordinate planning for future admissions, participates in pre-release planning with other members of the facility staff.
• Collect complete on-going data to determine nursing care needs.
• Monitor nursing care which promotes, maintains, and restores the well being of inmates/patients.
• Perform all aspects of general and specialized nursing care principles and techniques in the care and treatment of the ill inmate/patient within the facility.
• Assist physicians during performance of physical examinations and physician visits.
• Perform initial inmate/patient physical assessment (intake screening) according to established written protocol.
• Accompany and assist PCM Physician(s) during facility rounds.
• Assist dentist and psychiatrist as needed.
• Assign duties to PCM Medical nursing staff, provide instruction(s) on methods and techniques to provide care, review work in progress and collaborate with Health Services Administrator.
• Maintain confidentiality at ALL times.
• Bachelor’s degree in nursing preferred, previous education and experience may be substituted. Graduate of an accredited school.
• Previous management experience of a medical facility or more or 3 years experience working in an emergency department.
• Licensed to practice nursing in the state in which the facility is located.
• Experience in health care delivery system.
• Previous supervisory experience preferred.
• Decision making ability required.
• Ability to communicate effectively.
• Leadership ability required.
• Ability to function independently.
• Demonstrate clinical competency.