Operating Room Nurse Manager
HCA has been recognized as a Worlds Most Admired Company
in the Health Care Medical Facilities Industry by Fortune Magazine. The Ambulatory Surgery Division of HCA operates and jointly owns with physicians 130 surgery centers across the United States. Our cases are performed Monday-Friday which means NO nights, NO weekends, or On-call
will be required. The size of our surgery centers naturally creates a culture where everyone knows one another with a shared focus on providing the best possible experience for those that we serve. We are currently in search of additional members to join our team!
We value you and your future. We provide multiple health insurance plan options, tuition reimbursement, and many more programs to cover a wide variety of todays life and family needs. In addition to your salary and health insurance benefits, HCA provides a matching 401k as well as an Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP). Members of HCA receive consumer discounts on cell phones, hotels, rental cars, and many others. Interviews are being set immediately, you are encouraged to apply today!
OPERATIONAL DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
Coordinates nursing care in the designated clinical unit/department.
Ensures sufficient staffing on a daily basis. Notifies staff of scheduling changes in a timely manner.
Coordinates and delegates tasks to individuals according to the activities required and staff competency.
Assists with managing labor cost by coordinating adequate staffing patterns according to the utilization of the area and keeping an open line of communication with the Administrator, as per facility practices.
Assessable to staff in clinical area and assists with staff and clinical needs i.e. providing breaks, ensure coverage for meal breaks, late cases, and staffing shortages, as required.
Monitors to ensure that the clinical area is maintained properly i.e. equipment cleaned and functioning properly.
Assists with development of policies/procedures and facility practices, as directed.
Responsible for monitoring clinical staff for compliance with facility policies and practices, procedures, and QI Program (hazardous waste, blood borne pathogens, infection control, etc.)
Monitors to ensure timely and accurate medical records documentation.
Assists with maintaining proper inventory levels and cost containment.
Encourages teamwork among staff.
Assists with selection and hiring of staff.
Exhibits flexibility in self schedule.
Assists with employee orientation and performance management.
Assists with coordinating staff training/in-services and monitoring to ensure compliance.
Handles operating room clinical variances and coordinates follow up with Risk Manager and Clinical Director, as required.
Reports any environmental safety hazards to Risk Manager and Administrator, as per facility practices.
Assists with handling employee matters; reports to the Administrator, as required.
Communicates nursing and physician activities as required per facility practices to the Administrator in a timely manner.
Assists with monthly staff meetings.
- Demonstrates necessary practical, technical or specialized knowledge and skills required for the role of the peri-operative nurse in accordance with AORN and other regulatory standards of practice.
- Demonstrates knowledge of surgical procedures and has the ability to oversee the instrument and equipment set-up, prepare for the case utilizing preference cards, and anticipates needs of surgeon.
- Coordinates and oversees the room during a case as the circulator.
- Facilitates effective and efficient transition between surgical procedures.
- Utilizes preference cards and updates as necessary.
- Utilizes appropriate body mechanics in moving patients, stretchers, and OR tables to prevent injury to patient and self.
- Demonstrates knowledge/understanding of management of patient, including being available to anesthesia during intubation and extubation, assisting as needed in sudden changes in patient condition i.e. cardiopulmonary arrest, Malignant Hyperthermia, etc., and being readily available to assist as directed.
- Performs thorough patient interview and assessment in accordance with procedure and assures an appropriate, detailed time out process is done according to policy.
- Consistently reviews charts for completeness, in accordance with documentation protocols prior to and after the surgical procedure. Assures appropriate consent, H/P, diagnostic reports, and relevant information are on chart prior to the start of procedure.
- Ensures that H/P is a complete full examination of all body systems and dated within 30-days prior to procedure.
- Ensures that H/P, orders for the procedure, and consent form are consistent prior to placing in medical chart.
- Prepares and administers medications in accordance with current practice (i.e. review physician orders, pre-op antibiotics, preparing/labeling medications on/off field, utilizing the 7 medication rights, identifying high alert medications, conducting independent double checks when indicated, and narcotic waste, etc.). Assures only licensed personnel administer medications.
- Relays appropriate hand off communication to PACU staff to ensure continuity of care.
- Performs nurse circulator duties as assigned.
- Participates in the anesthesia time-out process if performed in the pre-op area prior to administration of pre-operative blocks or prior to the induction of anesthesia.
- Takes responsibility for careful and accurate handling and/or logging of narcotics, biohazardous materials, and surgical specimens.
- Assures all members of the surgical team comply with principles of surgical hand asepsis, aseptic, and sterile technique.
General Clinical Duties that apply to all areas:
- Takes responsibility for careful and accurate handling and/or logging of narcotics.
- Utilizes appropriate body mechanics in moving patients and stretchers to prevent injury to patient and self.
- Complies with principles of hand hygiene, aseptic and sterile technique.
- Demonstrates knowledge related to maintenance and cleanliness of instruments and equipment. Maintains a sanitary environment for the provision of patient care.
- Appropriately handles the disposal of biohazardous materials.
- Restocks area daily, using appropriate par levels and daily stock sheets.
- Spends appropriate time and energy on tasks and assignments based on the policies that are supportive of the Centers goals and objectives.
- Functions independently according to job responsibilities and within scope of practice utilizing current standards of care.
- Takes personal initiative to maintain current RN licensure, BCLS, ACLS, and PALS (if indicated) and other professional certifications current as defined by job role.
- Uses facility resources appropriately and avoids wasteful practices.
- Attends all mandatory in-services, staff meetings, and participates in emergency drills.
- Participates in the orientation of new employees.
- Completes annual competency and other required education as assigned.
- Maintains confidentiality and security of records and patient information at all times.
- Practices and adheres to the “Code of Conduct” philosophy and “Mission and Value Statement”.
- While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current Position, it is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. Management reserves the right to revise the Position or require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances warrant (i.e. emergencies, changes in personnel or staffing, workload, rush jobs, or technical developments).