6 days left
- Full Time
The Registered Nurse will be responsible for coordination of care for veterans who are seen within the Mental Health Clinic. You will provide care coordination to an assigned population, in collaboration with and as a member of the Behavioral Health Interdisciplinary Program (BHIP) team as well as provide coverage to the other mental health areas as needed. You will demonstrate a therapeutic relationship with the acute and chronic mentally ill patient by focusing attention on the emotional and behavioral concerns through a mutually defined professional relationship. You will perform structured clinical assessments and complex, systematic psychiatric assessments which include the total health status of the patient. You will triage walk-ins and patients who present in crisis. You may coordinate medication refills, perform Urine Drug Screens, monitor labs for therapeutic drug levels and provide instructions to patients regarding consults, etc. You will assist with and teach groups and provide back up for others who are teaching groups. You will provide telephone triage and coordinate with team members to address patient's needs/concerns on same day. You will assist with transfer of patients to the ED or In-patient unit. You will begin the coordination process at the time the patient is identified and works collaboratively with staff within the Mental Health Clinics, as well as staff throughout the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) facility that may also be involved in his/her care. You will review assessments completed by others, and obtains missing information from providers, patients and medical records. You will initiate patient and family education to include information about mental illness, medication, benefits and consequences of behaviors, coping strategies, evaluations and assessments and legal treatment modalities. You will complete clinical reminders as appropriate to Mental Health. You will serve as the Mental Health Treatment Coordinator for the assigned BHIP team. Must demonstrate the ability to communicate both orally and in writing with members of the Health Care System and will be expected to communicate any needs of the Veteran to other members of the team if the RN is unable to provide these services. This includes the development of an appropriate treatment plan and/or safety plan for patients, and the ability to communicate that plan to the patient's provider.
Work Schedule:Monday-Friday 7:30 am-4:00 pm, with occasional extended hours and weekend coverage. This position will report to location, Shavano Park.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Applicable
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
BSN or higher
3-years RN experience in psychiatric/mental health nursing patient care experience.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- VA form 10-2850a
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.
- Cover Letter
- Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs)
- VA form 10-2850a