Monitor Technician - Cardiac Telemetry (PRN)
Center City San Antonio is the backdrop for a vibrant and diverse community of patients served by Metropolitan Methodist Hospital. Our 354 bed hospital offers outstanding heart and cancer care, general surgery, neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery, obstetrics and gynecology services, inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation services, sleep disorder evaluation and the largest emergency room in downtown San Antonio. Our womens pavilion, the only stand-alone facility in downtown San Antonio dedicated to the health of women and their newborn babies, has earned an excellent reputation, one baby at a time. Metropolitan Methodist Hospital has been recognized by Modern Healthcare as a Best Place to Work in Healthcare and for the second consecutive year as a Leader in LGBT Healthcare Equality by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation. We are pleased to announce it is the first hospital in San Antonio to achieve Pathway to Excellence designation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. We have also been nationally recognized by Leapfrog for our focus on safety and quality, receiving a Grade A Hospital Safety Score. For more information, please visit our website at www.sahealth.com and select Metropolitan Methodist Hospital under Locations.
The Cardiac Monitor Technician will maintain cardiac monitoring by observing and documenting ECG rhythms.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for observing the monitor at all times, responding to alarms immediately, and reporting any changes in the patients rhythm to the team leader or nurse caring for the patient.
- Takes reports on all monitored patients from the monitoring staff. Reviews rhythms, treatment orders for dysrhythmias, and other pertinent information. Collects and documents the rhythm type.
- Assembles a transmitter, battery, a pouch, and electrodes for the admitting nurse. Performs skin prep for placement of monitor by the nurse. Maintains a supply of strip sheets, summary sheets, electrodes, wires, ECG paper, batteries, pouches, and transmitters. Cleans electrode wires and transmitters when monitoring is discontinued.
- Informs the Charge Nurse of any equipment malfunctions. Checks all monitors high/low alarms are set properly, according to physicians orders or unit standard.
- Documents monitor patterns and mount strips every 4 hours, when any new ectopic beat is observed, and/or when a change of pattern occurs. All rhythm strips will be labeled with the patients name, date, time, and room number.
- Analyzes rhythm strips for ventricular rate, atrial rate, PR interval, and QRS duration and document in the appropriate place.
Additional Job Functions:
- May handle, pick up, deliver, or stock non-controlled medications as directed by a licensed team member.
- Supports the mission and vision of the Methodist Healthcare System (MHS).
- Must learn and comply with system and facility safety policies and rules.
- Adheres to the MHS Code of Conduct and demonstrates ethical behavior as expected by our patients, colleagues and the community.
- Completes other duties as assigned.