RN - COMMUNITY LIVING CENTER - INTERMITTENT
7 days left
- Full Time
This position is in the Community Living Center of the Alexandria VA Health Care System (AVAHCS). As a Staff Nurse, primary duties include provide medical care and personal care services to ill and injured Veterans. Additional duties include documenting observations, assessments, and changes in Veteran's conditions, collaborating with health team members to facilitate positive patient outcomes, providing a full range of nursing care (direct care to charge nurse duties) with a variety of physical and/or behavior problems, and accountable for meeting and maintaining the qualification standards and functional statements of assigned grade.
Our facility is seeking RNs who possess good organizational skills which enable completion of work, a demonstrated ability to assume leadership in a resident centered program, and the ability to establish effective communication with residents, families, visitors and members of the interdisciplinary team. The Registered Nurse also cleans Reusable Medical Equipment (RME) per Alexandria VA Healthcare System Standards of Procedures specific to each device. This is according to the manufacturer's guidelines. The Registered Nurse will supervise care delivery of Licensed Practical Nurses and Nursing Assistants, attends educational courses as required, comply with Infection Control practices, specifically hand hygiene.
Work Schedule: Shift Work - Days, Nights, Weekends, Holidays - Rotating 8 and 12 hour shifts
Certification: Basic Life Support
The population of male and female veterans served ranges from the adult, age 18, to the elderly adult, age 65 and over. This position requires visual acuity, keen hearing, clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. This position requires potentially long periods of continued walking, standing, stooping, sitting, bending, pulling, and pushing. Transferring patients and objects may be required up to 50 pounds. The incumbent may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations or operative/invasive procedures. The incumbent may be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on patient needs. In addition, the incumbent must be emotionally stable and adjust to different types of personalities, demonstrating cheerfulness, compassion, courtesy and concern. He/she must be quick and dependable in taking emergency action as directed and use initiative in preventing accidents.Basic Requirements:
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Preferred Experience: One (1) year of nursing experience
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
CV or Resume
VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists - Application website - http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey=&Action=Search
If currently employed in the VA system, include latest SF50 (Notification of Personnel Action)
If prior military service, include all copy of your DD Forms 214 - member copy 4
Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must also complete and submit SF-15. (Available at http://www.opm.gov(forms/pdf fill(SFIS.Qdf) (Required if applicable)
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.