LPN (Hickory) Part-Time
3 days left
- Full Time
Duties of this position include but are not limited to the following:
* Reforms phlebotomy using appropriate and established venipuncture techniques.
* Prepares and processes test samples for shipping.
* Administers medication accurately and promptly under the general supervision of a Registered Nurse.
* Demonstrated understanding of the effects and/or reactions caused by medications, treatments, and procedures. Records and reports these observations.
* Performs personal care, diagnostic support duties and treatments according to procedure under the direction of the professional nurse in a timely manner.
* Responds to patient's nursing needs, including physical comfort, and emotional needs and recognizing deviations from the normal. Will involve patients and family to participate in the provision of care throughout the continuum.
* Participates and reinforces and referrals. Completes assignments in a timely manner with constructive utilization of remaining time.
* Serves as a member of the interdisciplinary team, interacting with patients, families, professionals and supportive personnel
Work Schedule: Monday- Friday 7:30 am- 11:30 am
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- English Language Proficiency- Must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d) and 7407(d).
- Education-Graduate of a school of practical or vocational nursing approved by the appropriate State accrediting agency and/or the National League for Nursing at the time the program was completed.
- Licensure- full, active and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the U.S. or in the District of Columbia
GS-6:(a) Completion of at least one (1) year of additional qualifying experience at the GS-5 level or equivalent, fully meeting all performance requirements for the GS-5 LPN/LVN.
(b) Technically proficient in initiating, performing, and completing assigned duties in providing care to variable patient populations.
(c) Knowledge and ability to appropriately carry out assigned patient care based on the patients' conditions; to use judgment in selecting the appropriate order and sequence of procedures and treatments; and to accurately recognize, report, and record relevant patient information. Completed work should need only a general review by a registered nurse (RN) or physician (MD/DO) for appropriateness and conformity with established policies/procedures.
(d) Ability to observe, identify, and respond to the patient's needs for care, including medication, equipment-assisted care and patient/family education. In organizing and delivering care, the LPN/LVN recognizes and considers emotional, cultural, spiritual, socio-economic, and age-related factors.
(e) Prepares and administers prescribed medications (oral, topical, subcutaneous, intramuscular, and/or intravenous) and performs treatments according to established policies/procedures. Observes for physical and/or emotional changes in patient's condition from prescribed medications/treatments, promptly and accurately documenting noted changes, and reporting any deviations from normal to RN or MD/DO.
(f) Knowledge and ability to recognize urgent or emergent patient care situations, seek assistance of the RN and/or MD/DO, and initiate appropriate emergency interventions as directed.
(g) Knowledge and understanding of human behavior, patient motivations and reactions to situations, and ability to appropriately utilize this knowledge in working effectively with patients, family members, and other staff.
(h) Establishes constructive relationships with individual patients and their families to elicit feelings and attitudes, and to promote positive relationships, communication and socialization skills. Fosters an environment of respect for individual patient and family rights to privacy and dignity in all aspects of care delivery. Effectively incorporates knowledge and understanding of established customer service standards in all interactions with patients, family members, and/or other internal/external customers.
(i) Knowledge and skill in performing support duties for complex diagnostic tests and/or specialized practices or procedures, which include preparing the patient, assisting in the diagnostic examination, preparing and handling specialized instruments or other specialized equipment, and monitoring the patient's condition before, during, and following the procedure. Serves as a preceptor in orienting, educating, and training less experienced LPNs/LVNs or NAs/HTs related to support duties for these more complex, specialized tests/procedures.
(j) Actively seeks out educational opportunities to enhance nursing knowledge and skills, sharing new knowledge gained with other staff to improve and advance nursing practice.
References: License Practical Nurse, VAHANDBOOK 5005/3, PART II, APPENDIX G13. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.Physical Requirements: In accordance with HRML No. 05-12-02, Employment of People with Disabilities, Including Under Schedule A, 5 CFR 213.3102(u) - Licensed Practical Nurse Functional Requirements: moderate lifting (15 - 44 lbs), light carrying (under 15 lbs), pushing (2 hours), reaching above shoulder, walking (4 hours), standing (4 hours), kneeling (1 hour), repeated bending (2 hours), ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously, far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other, depth perception, ability to distinguish shades of color, ability to hear whispered voice (hearing aid permitted). DRUG-TESTING POSITION: Applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA. Applicants will not be appointed to the position if a verified positive drug test result is received
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, documentation to support Veterans Preference or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees).
- Cover Letter
- Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs)
- Other Veterans Document