Registered Nurse (RN) - Progressive Care Unit (PCU)
- Contract Type
Mainland Medical Center
- Texas City, TX
An HCA Affiliated Hospital
Registered Nurse - Progressive Care Unit
Shift: Nights/Full Time
Founded in 1952, Mainland Medical Center
has been part of Galveston County for more than 55 years. Originally a 90-bed hospital, we have grown to a 223 bed acute care facility offering quality, compassionate care with state-of-the-art services. Our services include inpatient and outpatient medical, surgical and specialty services.
Mainland Medical Center is part of the HCA Gulf Division, a comprehensive network of hospitals, outpatient surgery centers, emergency centers, cancer centers, and diagnostic imaging facilities. It offers a complete continuum of specialized health programs and services that meet the needs of Greater Houston and South Texas residents and businesses. Our growth is truly a reflection of the changing needs of our community, our patients and rapidly advancing medical technology. Our services include:
- Breast Care Center
- Cardiovascular Services
- Center for Sleep Disorders
- Center for Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine
- Emergency Services
- Level II Neonatal Intermediate Care Unit
- Occupational Health and Wellness
- Senior Mental Health
- Women's Services
Mainland Medical Center
is currently looking for a Registered Nurse (RN) - Progressive Care Unit.
- Competently and accurately completes age appropriate comprehensive physical and psychosocial assessment of patients; takes nursing history assessment. Utilizes as basis to identify nursing diagnosis/patient care needs.
- Competently plans and prioritizes age and specialty appropriate care of each patient assigned.
- Includes patient/family education in daily plan.
- Communicates relevant information to appropriate healthcare professionals.
- Ensures planned interventions are consistent with the overall plan(s) of care.
- Adheres to identified discharge plan.
- Is familiar with the standards of care applicable to assigned area.
- Safely and properly delivers age and specialty appropriate nursing care to assigned patients.
- Executes physician orders for all assigned patients; administers medications and treatments, and delivers appropriate competent nursing care in accordance with Mainland Medical Center's policies, procedures and standards.
- Encourages patient/family participation in care and provides emotional support and comfort measures to them
- Interprets diagnostic data
- Demonstrates knowledge of legal consequences of nursing activities. Respects and supports patient rights while practicing principles of patient and employee confidentiality. Recognizes ethical dilemmas, utilizes available resources, and seeks assistance in dealing with them. Ensures ethical practice of staff.
- Competently performs routine technical procedures/skills
- Provides patient/family instruction and healthcare teaching.
- Practices and promotes proper aseptic technique, infection control measures, and body mechanics.
- Evaluates the patient/family response to, and outcome(s) of, implemented care and modifies the plan of care accordingly
- Competently and consistently completes accurate, concise, and legible documentation on all patient, unit, and Hospital records.
- Supports/participates in unit-based continuous quality improvement activities including evaluative mechanisms. Utilizes research-based nursing interventions. Will participate in peer review.
- Functions as an interdependent and supportive team member. Assumes the responsibility of charging unit, as appropriate.
- Assists in maintaining a positive learning environment
- Exchanges constructive feedback with peers.
- Assumes responsibility for remaining current on job-related knowledge and skills and ongoing education/in-service/credentialing/certification/licensure requirements
- Serves as positive role model/motivator. Inspires optimism. Creates a respectful and appreciative unit climate/practices positive recognition and feedback
- High level of emotional intelligence: self awareness, self regulation, motivation, social skills
- Makes assignments according to patient needs and staff knowledge ability, need, and interest
- Develops/mentors others. Builds trust and autonomy
- Understands and interprets unit's role in big picture
- Identifies human, material, and resources/needs
- Assures compliance with safety regulations
- Performs related duties as required/assigned
- Adheres to and complies with HCA Code of Conduct as part of the Ethics and Compliance Program. Attends annual training sessions