RN-Nurse Manager-Mental Health
The Nurse Manager is an expert nurse who provides leadership in the in-patient Mental Health unit. The Manager is responsible for staffing, scheduling and employee relations. The Manager shares responsibility for competency and education of staff, development and evaluation of clinical programs. This position will work closely with the interdisciplinary team, Nursing Clinical Support, Psychiatric Services, Medical Center Management and other departments within the medical center.
Work Schedule: This position will be mainly on the day shift, administrative work week with required flexibility to meet with staff on extended tours and for Nursing Coordinator coverage.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- MSN degree preferred
- Strong clinical skills and experience in the care of adult Behavioral Health patients required
- Mental Health experience preferred
- Management experience showing progressive leadership preferred
- Flexibility, creativity and quality leadership approaches to the position required
- Documented satisfactory performance and dependability required
- Effective communication skills/customer relationships required
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Resume: Your resume must have the following information for each position you have held (job title, duties, dates of employment including month and year (start/end dates), and full time or part-time status with the number of hours worked each week).
2. VA Form 10-2850a- Application for Nurse and Nurse Anesthetists: Available at http://vaww.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-091998-fill.pdf. (REQUIRED)
3. SF-50 - Notification of Personnel Action: Ensure that Occupational Title, Series, and Grade are displayed. Provide this ONLY if you are a former federal employee.
4. DD Forms 214: Ensure that character of service is listed on the copy (preferably member 4 copy). Provide this ONLY if you are a former member of the military.
5. SF 15 - Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference: Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must also complete and submit an (available at https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf15.pdf).
If selected, the following documents will be required:
1. Three signed professional letters of recommendation.
2. Optional Form 306 - Declaration for Federal Employment https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf.
3. All RN applicants must address the Nursing Four Dimensions (Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration, and Scientific Inquiry).
4. Transcripts: Copy of college transcripts that reflect your nursing degree and/or related degrees.
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.
- Cover Letter
- VHA Form 10-2850a
- Other Veterans Document