Registered Nurse - Research Coordinator
The Registered Nurse (RN) Research Coordinator is highly skilled nurse who has education, clinical training, and experience in the diagnosis and management of patient care problems. The Registered Nurse is able to analyze patient care problems, implement preventative patient care measures, promote positive health care, and provide educational support for patients with complex problems. An experienced and highly skilled nurse performs independently, with physician oversight, in the management of the research program.
The Research Coordinator Nurse is responsible to the Head Nurse Clinical Support Section, Medicine Service is comprehensive direct and indirect care of a patient or group of patients. The care provided is based on Nursing process. Care is directed toward the High Performance Development Module (HPDM) Core Competencies and developmental needs of the patient population including age-related competencies. The Research Nurse Coordinator manages the Medicine Service's Research Program and coordinates with the facility's Research Service with Clinical Services and other VA facilities and non-VA facilities in coordinating research activities as needed.
Work Schedule: M-F 0800-1630
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d) AND 7407(d).
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
- CITI certification
- Evidence of completion of Human Subjects Protection courses
- Minimum of 1-3 years of professional nursing practice experience
- Research experience
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Heavy lifting & Carrying (45 lbs and over); Straight Pulling & Pushing (7-8 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (up to 8 hours); Standing & Kneeling (up to 1 hour): Repeated bending (7-8 hours); Both legs required; Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and 20/40 in the other; Hearing (aid permitted); Emotional and Mental Stability. May be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations or operative/invasive procedures. May occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative, secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
Resume or CV
Copy of unofficial transcripts
All required licensure and certification for this position
VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists can be found at: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey=&Action=Search.
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.
- Cover Letter
- VA Application Form 10-2850a