- Full Time
The RN Staff Nurse- Cath Lab is assigned to the Medicine Service in the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory department. Provides nursing care to diverse populations from early adulthood to geriatrics with a variety of cardiac problems which may include, specific disease processes/problem. The Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory nursing practice involves assessment, analysis, nursing diagnosis, outcome identification, planning, implementation of interventions, and evaluation of responses to perceived, actual or potential of urgent, physical or psychosocial problems that are primarily episodic/acute. It also involves a direct service, assisting the patient, family, and/or significant others toward goals that restore, maintain, promote health, and provide the patient and family with comfort and peaceful acceptance. These may require critical life-support measures; patient, family, and significant other education; appropriate referral and discharge planning, and knowledge of legal implications. The Nurse functions as a member of the interdisciplinary healthcare team, managing a defined but dynamic caseload of patients. The nurse practices in a complex patient care setting in collaboration with interdisciplinary colleagues and the department nurse manager. The nurse is accountable as assigned as the shift charge nurse and/or as a primary nurse for a defined group of patient on his/her shift or for an entire episode of care. The nurse serves on nursing or education committees or sub-committees and work groups, completes training requirements and provides training opportunities for others, and will be assigned to additional related duties and tasks as required. Based upon education, experience, and assignment, this nurse may provide direct supervision and be and may be assigned as a preceptor to new or less experienced staff. This nurse may be assigned to cross-cover other clinical areas within his/her competency level. Incumbent will be able to set up or reprocess Reusable Medical Equipment (RME) as applicable and be certified annually on the specific equipment for which they are responsible. Must be proficient and demonstrate competency and the ability to either set up or reprocess RME as applicable for all equipment for which you have been trained.
Work Schedule: Multiple tours available; to be discussed during interview
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Certified in Critical Care Nursing
- Recent (within the last year) Cardiac Cath Lab nursing experience in a hospital setting
- Demonstrated knowledge of disease and treatment processes pertaining to critically ill patients
- Knowledge of Cardiac Cath Lab nursing scope and standards, policies, procedures, and regulatory guidelines such as Joint Commission
- Experience and demonstrated ability to organize patient care assignments/responsibilities within the identified work tour
- Skilled communicator with recent experience working closely and directly with Veterans, Families, Clinical Coordinators, Nurse Managers and Colleagues
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
- Moderate Lifting 35 lbs.
- Use of fingers
- Both hands required
- Walking/standing intermittently up to a period of one continuous hour. Total walk/stand time for the day up to 4 hours.
- Intermittent sitting up to a period of one continuous hour. Total sitting time for the day up to 4 hours.
- Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously
- Ability to distinguish shades of colors
- Typing intermittently for approximately one to five hours per day
- Reaching above shoulder required to obtain supplies or light objects
- Fine motor movements of hand/fingers required to pump blood pressure bulb to obtain blood pressure readings up to 10 times per day.
- Hearing acuity to auscultate using stethoscope (i.e.blood pressure, lung sounds, etc).
- Corrected vision to 20/30
- Ability to exert 20 lbs. of pressure to compress an adult chest 2" for approximately 1-2 minutes (CPR)
- Frequent hand washing/sanitizing required
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- VA Form 10-2850a
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), etc.
- Cover Letter
- VA Form 10-2850a
- Other Veterans Document