REGISTERED NURSE-94 Acute Psychiatry
This is a bargaining unit position
Tour of Duty: Rotating Tours of Duty to include days, weekends, evening and night shifts. Primary shifts schedules are, 7:30 am - 4:00 pm, 3:30 pm - 12:00 am, and 11:30 pm - 8:00 am. Other Tours of Duty that may be utilized are 5:00 am - 1:30 pm, 6:00 am - 2:30 pm, 7:00 am - 3:30 pm, 7:30 am - 8:00 pm, 9:00 am - 5:30 pm, 11:30 am - 12:00 am, 1:00 pm - 9:30 pm, 10:00 am - 6:30 pm, 2:30 pm - 11:00 pm, and 7:30 pm - 8:00 am.
DUTIES: The Staff Nurse is a professional nurse at an intermediate level of development. As progression is made in the nursing profession, it is expected that leadership skills and competencies will be sustained with expertise and a broad-based clinical knowledge to effectively implement health promotion and management of acute and chronic illness. The nurse is obligated to ongoing, comprehensive evaluation and improvement of clinical practice and health care delivery systems to meet the needs of patients in the Mental Health and Behavioral Medicine units, including individuals, significant others, and/or communities. Practice is based on current and anticipated trends in health care. The Staff Nurse demonstrates leadership in delivering and improving holistic care through collaborative strategies with others. The incumbent is directly responsible to the Nurse Manager.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: One to two years of Psychiatric Nursing experience is preferredBasic Requirements:
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
1. BSN and approximately 2-3 years of experience; or
2. MSN and approximately 1-2 years of experience; Masters in a field related to nursing and a BSN and approximately 1-2 years of experience; or
3. Doctoral degree in nursing, or in a field related to nursing and no experience.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.Physical Requirements: This position requires potentially long periods of continued walking, standing, stooping, sitting, bending, pulling and pushing. Transferring patients and objects may be required. The incumbent may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations or operative/invasive procedures. The incumbent may occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on patient needs.
This position also requires the incumbent to be able to demonstrate competency in therapeutic containment skills which includes verbal and physical de-escalation techniques. Competency is determined by being successful in a clinical check-off on verbal interventions and a demonstration of "PHYSICAL" skills to include Level 3 and Level 4 physical components of PMDB listed below:
*Turning, twisting, and rotating your wrists and arms
*Pivoting on your feet and turning around
*Raising your arms over your head
*Bending and rotating your neck
*Making an "X" with your forearms in front of you
*Raising each leg, being able to stand on each leg independently
*Transfer from a standing position to a kneeling position with both knees on the floor
*Transfer from a standing lunge position to both knees on the floor
*Moving, sitting, and lying on the floor to contain a violently acting out person
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
*VA Form 10-2850a Application for Nurse and Nurse Anesthetists ): http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-091998-fill.pdf )
Application 10-2850a is required to be considered for this position. Please complete the form in its entirety. If you answer "YES" to questions 30 through 38, please attach a separate sheet of paper with a brief explanation for each question to which you answered "Yes". Information must be current and not older than a year. Outdated and/or incomplete applications will be ineligible for consideration.
*Resume: Your resume must include the following information for each job that you list:Job title; Complete Work Place Addresses ; Duties (be as detailed as possible); Month and year start/end dates (e.g. June 2007 to April 2008); Full-time, part-time status, PRN (include hours worked per week).
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
*Other Veterans Document